Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cook Auction Pictures Are Awesome!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  12:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know I complain too much about grading on slabbed coins. But I have been drooling over the coins in the August Heritage Auction. I have found no problems with the grades of any I looked at closely.

Here is a link:

https://coins.ha.com/c/search-resul...h-A-K-071316

It is very instructive to blow up big, the pictures of coins that have "details". Because the pictures are so great, you can see the fine scratches on cleaned coins and the altered surfaces on those so graded. VERY informative. Just click on the big picture and then use mouse wheel to make even larger.

We will find out what the real market is for the finest of Canadian coins next month. They will announce reserves (if any) before the live auction starts. I am hoping there are none. I entered a few bids on some less expensive beauties and hope to score a couple. But even if I strike out, it will be great fun to see how things go.
Valued Member
Canada
69 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add inconnu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The pictures are over lit and the coin does not look like this. Scroll down to the pictures of the coin in the PCGS slab - that's the coin you will be bidding on. I've agonized about bidding on some of the lots but several knowledgeable members have stated that you need to see the coin in hand.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1492 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Altered toning. Cleaning. ETC. hmmmmmmm
Valued Member
Canada
69 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add inconnu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What scares me Mike is the 1911 Specimen dollar. The toning has been altered and the grade lowered by one with no mention of cleaning. Does PCGS give you a mulligan if the coin is a rarity? How many have they slid through, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1492 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of them.
Valued Member
Taiwan
297 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Everest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are more than a few coins that were graded higher by PCGS prior to Cooks acquisition. They are still straight graded but a point lower. If you are familiar with the history of these coins you would wonder how they even straight graded. Buyer beware.
This might be the only auction where the pedigree hurts even the straight graded coins.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1492 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well said!
Valued Member
Canada
69 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add inconnu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good point Everest !
Pillar of the Community
United States
2500 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  07:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The auction, the current owner, and the previous owner and/or auction have been discussed at great length on this and other coin sites. Although this is a huge collection of extremely important coins, the condition of the coins, in general, makes any serious collector shudder in disappointment. He used, among other cleaners, VIM, wich my wife uses to clean the surface of our stove, let alone God knows what else. Nearly all the coins have numismatically been ruined because of the peculiar visual taste of Mr Cook. Some very good friends of mine (and numismatically well seasoned) have viewed the coins in-hand and were appalled at what was spread in front of them. PCGS should be ashamed of what they put on the piles of plastic and I can only add .... "Buyer beware!"
Edited by okiecoiner
07/23/2019 07:06 am
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have looked at many of the large cents and 5 cent coins on the Heritage web site. I have found none where I disagree with the grading. Where they have been cleaned or messed with, the slab so states.

Now the lighting is another story. But they do provide TWO pictures of both obverse & reverse. The pictures that show the slab are probably closer to what the color will look like in your hand. And the brighter (no slab) pictures show minor defects better. But I wish I could see them in person!

This one really has a huge difference between the different views:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/canada/wor...ption-071515

No slab shows all the die cracks better. Slab view probably shows the color better.
Learn More...
Canada
8539 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Despite the potential to fill holes in my collection- I am avoiding anything and everything with the Cook Collection pedigree...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2334 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This one really has a huge difference between the different views:

i still see what appears to be chemical toning, on this coin..
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05