Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your "Coins With Hands"

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,071 / Views: 49,053Next Topic
Page: of 72
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
20860 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2021  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1923 República Peruana
Lima
Un sol.

(Coin #2 )
A cultivated person is a citizen of the world*
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8006 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How hands are displayed in an illustration, painting or sculpture can convey significant meaning. On the reverse of the 1936 Lynchburg, VA Sesquicentennial commemorative half dollar. for example, Liberty is presented with arms open and raised with the palms of her hands up and turned toward the viewer - all symbolic of openness and welcome. (Compare to the sight of someone with arms folded tightly in front of them - a very "closed" image.)

A portrait of Virginia Senator Carter Glass is seen on the coin's obverse; his portrait was a second choice for the coin as the first choice was John Lynch, the founder of the town/city. Unfortunately, as no likenesses of Lynch were available to use as artistic reference, the Lynchburg Sesqui-Centennial Association (sponsors of the coin) decided to use an image of Glass. He was opposed to appearing on the coin, but was outvoted by the other members of the Association; Glass was the honorary chairman of the Association.

Artist/Sculptor Charles Keck prepared the design and models for the coin; he was selected by the Association on the recommendation of Charles Moore, Chairman of the Commission on Fine Arts.

1936 Lynchburg, VA Sesquicentennial Half Dollar

You can find other of my posts about the Lynchburg half dollar here:

- 1936 Lynchburg, VA Sesquicentennial
- 1936 Lynchburg, VA Sesquicentennial - Coins Depicting Places Thread
- 1936 Lynchburg, VA Sesquicentennial - Mythology on Coins Thread

To read other of my posts about commemorative coins and medals, check out: Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
20860 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2005 Canada.
1 Dollar - Elizabeth II Terry Fox.

Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Not exactly a coin but it does show a hand!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
20860 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1917 Italy.
1 Lira - Vittorio Emanuele III

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8006 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@fplagge: Can you tell us anything more about the piece?

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
20860 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  01:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@fplagge: Can you tell us anything more about the
piece?

Commemorative Medals, Foreign Medals, Germany, Hamburg (Hansestadt), Corruption of the Imperial Commission, striking in silver of the satirical doppeldukaten, 1708, by Christian Wermuth, hand extends offering a coin, KOMSTU MIR ALSO, rev. an official covers face with hand, but peers through his fingers, SO KOMME ICH DIR SO, 29mm. (Fieweger 343; Gaed.25-15; BDM. VI, 438), very fine
(400-450 GBP)

https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=l...2486&lot=568
Learn More...
United States
114715 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8006 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Dorado: Thanks for the info and link. The link provides a nice clean view of the piece.

I used Google Translate on the inscriptions:

KOMSTU MIR ALSO = SO COME TO ME

SO KOMME ICH DIR SO = HOW DO I COME TO YOU?

I don't speak German, so I can't verify the accuracy of the translation. Can anyone offer their knowledge/expertise?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
20860 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@Dorado: Thanks for the info and link. The link provides a nice clean view of the piece.

You are welcome!

Old :
KOMSTU MIR ALSO = SO COME TO ME
SO KOMME ICH DIR SO = HOW DO I COME TO YOU?

New :
-So komme zu Mir -
-Wie komme Ich zu Dir?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8006 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Panama-Pacific International Exposition was held between February 20, 1915 and December 4, 1915 in San Francisco, CA to celebrate the completion of the Panama Canal. To help fund the Exposition, a five-coin program was approved by Congress for the Exposition organizers. It consisted of a silver half dollar, a gold $1.00, a gold quarter eagle ($2.50) and two varieties of gold $50.00 coins; the coins were dated 1915.

The obverse of the Quarter Eagle depicts an allegorical figure of Columbia - the personification of the United States - seated on a hippocampus - an ancient fictitious animal that combines the front quarters of a horse with the body and tail of a fish. The focus here, however, is the caduceus shown in the left hand of Columbia.

The caduceus is meant to represent the medical triumph over yellow fever that enabled the Panama Canal to be be built/completed.

Yellow fever was just one of the many obstacles that were faced during the construction of the Panama Canal, but it was one of the most significant. The virus behind the disease causes high fever, pain, vomiting and, potentially, severe damage to the liver. Untreated, the issues resulting from the liver damage can cause death. Thousands of canal workers died from yellow fever, malaria and other tropical diseases during the time the French worked to construct the canal.

After the US took over construction of the canal, General Walter Reed, a US Army physician, researched how yellow fever was transmitted. Based on research initiated by Carlos Finlay, a Cuban physician, Reed confirmed that yellow fever was transmitted via mosquitoes. As a result, mosquito breeding sites were sought out and destroyed and standing water was drained. These efforts led to the yellow fever epidemic being overcome and the US was able to complete construction of the canal with a workforce that stayed healtheir and able to work.

It was very fitting, therefore, to have at least one of the coins issued for the Exposition include acknowledgement of the important role medical science played in enabling the canal to be competed - the caduceus in Columbia's hand.

1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition Gold Quarter Eagle

Note: I do not own this coin yet, so I am presenting images of it courtesy of Heritage Auctions, http://www.ha.com.

For more on the Pan-Pac Quarter Eagle, check out:

- 1915 Pan-Pac International Exposition - Animal Kingdom Thread

For other of my posts on commemorative coins and medals, see: Read More: Commems Collection.

Source Consulted

- Web site of the Pan-American Health Organization; https://www.paho.org.

Learn More...
United States
114715 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting!

Quote:
seated on a hippocampus - an ancient fictitious animal that combines the front quarters of a horse with the body and tail of a fish.
I always think about the brain when I hear hippocampus, but today I learned its name was borrowed from the Greek Seahorse.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
20860 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2001 España.
2000 Pesetas.Juan Carlos I (1975-2014)

Circulating commemorative coin

Learn More...
United States
114715 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8006 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Time to have a quick look at the hands of the Roman god Neptune as depicted on the 1935 Hudson, NY Sesquicentennial half dollar. Neptune is featured on Hudson's original Seal, which was created in 1785; the half dollar's reverse design was based on the original Seal.

On the Seal, Neptune's right hand is holding a trident (something he is almost always depicted as holding), while his left hand is empty with its palm turned down toward the whale with its index finger extended and its other three fingers and thumb curled under. Such detail is very difficult to see on the coin due to the majority having less-than-full strikes, but on those with a better strike, Neptune's left hand's index finger can be seen pointing down toward the whale.

Note: A trident is a three-pronged spear that can be used as a weapon or a tool with which to fish. On the original Seal, the pole of Neptune's trident passes in front of the whale, while on the coin it disappears behind the whale. Just one of several modifications Chester Beach made while adapting the Seal for the Hudson half dollar.

Hands can also be seen on the mermaid in the background as she holds a conch shell into which she is blowing to signal the waters to remain calm.

Statue of Neptune, King of the Seas, with His Trident on the Boardwalk in Virginia Beach, VA

]Image Credit: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division. Public Domain.

1935 Hudson, NY Sesquicentennial Half Dollar

You can see my previous posts about the Hudson half dollar here:

- 1935 Hudson, NY 150th Anniversary
- 1935 Hudson, NY 150th Anniversary - Coins with Beards Thread
- 1935 Hudson, NY 150th Anniversary - Coins with Coats-of-Arms Thread

More of my stories about commemorative coins and medals can be accessed from: Read More: Commems Collection.

Page: of 72 Previous TopicReplies: 1,071 / Views: 49,053Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: