Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are They Considered As Cleaned ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Lebanon
63 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  12:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,
I have received 2 coins which were not well handled or conserved coins .One of them is an old proof without capsule and another an early gold eagle with capsule but it look like it was opened and we can see fingerprints on it .Ive whipped them with a very soft cloth (like the one we use with sunglasses) then I put them in lighthouse quick slab to conserve them. By whipping them, are they now considered as cleaned if I submitted them to NGC or PCGS grading? Do they lose grading level ? or the whipping has no effect on their grading ?
Edited by chronos
08/16/2019 6:43 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40349 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We would need sharp close-up pics of the surfaces of these coins to answer your questions.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28984 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do not wipe anymore coins,not even with the eyeglass cleaning cloth. Handle coins only by the edges and it goes without saying...do not clean coins. Post good quality photos of the coins in question for us to comment on.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40349 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The pics don't show the surfaces clearly, but if there are hairlines as you suggest, then regrettably you may have lowered the value of this one considerably.
Edited by Coinfrog
08/16/2019 6:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1508 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi chronos....The George V looks like its been outside of protection for a while looking at some of the heavy scratches, and I would be very surprised if these were produced by your wiping!?...But some of the hairlines could have been!? I didn't see the coin before!...It's still a beautiful coin! Rare with only about 2800 minted and quite valuable. Whatever has happened in the past can't be undone so look after it and get it graded

PS..Don't wipe coins
Valued Member
Lebanon
63 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello palouche ,
These scratches were there since day 1 , they arent the effect of wipping .Even hairlines have been there since day 1 ,I couldnt know if few hairlines are made from whipping the coin .I thought by looking on images you can notice something that may indicate clear signs of hipping. Sadly the coin wasnt protected. I couldnt find any shop who sell capsules or slab in my country so I ordered some from France .
on the other hand ,the gold eagle was encapsulated.
Edited by chronos
08/16/2019 5:33 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16886 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They both need to be graded by NGC or PCGS.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are impaired proofs, but still quite valuable.

Don't clean any coin any way.
Valued Member
Lebanon
63 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone!!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18425 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even with super soft material, scratches are possible on very highly finished coins so just don't clean them.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05