Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

USA Born & Bred. My Dad Got Me Started In Coin Collecting When I Was 5 Or 6

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  9:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Webs to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I grew up in Illinois, graduated from the University of Illinois. Lived in Illinois my first 35 years, and worked in Chicago for 18 of those years. Then lived in Indiana 17 years, on the east coast for 6 years, and in California for 6 years until my wife retired in May and we began snowbirding -- living part of the year in California and part of the year in Ohio. Cancer survivor (2013).

My Dad and another man were partners in a filling station when I was a child. Back when I was six, people mostly paid in cash in my tiny town of Galva, IL, population 3100. At least once a week, I was able to go through all of the coins in the safe at his workplace to build up my collection. I kept very active through most of my teen years.

Then I got away from collecting for the most part until a month ago. There were times when I would get rolls of coins at the bank quite often, but those spurts were usually no longer than a couple months at a time. I did almost nothing on it for the last 20 years, until I started again in the last two months.

I had hoped to inherit my Dad's collection. He had collected nearly complete sets of pennies (Lincoln & Indian), nickels (buffalo & Jefferson), dimes (mercury -- except 1916D -- & Roosevelt) Washington quarters, liberty Walking halves, Franklin, & Kennedy, and had a lot of silver dollars. He had 20-cent pieces, 2-cent piece, both kinds of 3-cent pieces, and other earlier coins of several denominations.

But life is not always kind. He had to sell the whole collection to help with his cancer bills.

I am interested in building up all of those collections for myself, but cannot afford to buy everything from ebay or antique stores. I hope to begin frequenting estate sales and find places where I can buy rolls with a realistic chance of finding something useful, rather than rolls that have been bought & sold 100 times over on ebay.

I also have gotten the bug to build a Canadian coin collection that I started in childhood. For the most part, it is less expensive and I have a better chance of completing collections, except for the very rare coins. We visited friends in Quebec recently, and I was able to massively advance my collection in those 10 days. I have also gotten good deals on ETSY and ebay in the last week. I may collect some of the more exotic coins in Canada, such as Superman & Justice League, but they are proliferating so fast and with such cost (Coins face values from 25 cents to $100 to start with) that I may have to have a very narrow focus in that area.

Thanks for reading! Most of my posts will not be nearly this long!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10149 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5034 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
543 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome and sounds like you had a great start to your collecting. I got started in much the same way with the influence by my father in the mid '60's. Didn't have much $ so just what came through my hands from pocket change, so that ruled out anything more valuable than a nickle!!

Sorry you didn't end up with part of your Dad's collection but it sounds like your children to look forward to.
Pillar of the Community
United States
858 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for sharing your story!

I love long posts, so don't be shy about writing.

Good luck!
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Webs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed Pete......So far, not much interest from them....but there are the grandkids too :D

Thanks "show" for the encouragement and the others for checking in!
Learn More...
United States
76200 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16904 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We look forward to your participation.
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2019  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bigmarty58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect coins from Canada also, good luck with your collection!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05