Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fun Coin Show Not So Fun, Issues And Correction?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  1:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Gallienus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Recently I went to the FUN Coin Show in Orlando (July 2019). My arrival was delayed and I got to the show Saturday around 12:30 pm.

The last coin shows I went (some years ago) to were 3 days shows: Fri, Sat, & Sunday. I knew that Sundays were dead so I planned to arrive at this show on Saturday morning, however, my plane was delayed 2 hrs.

I has several goals for the show. I brought some gold coins, bought decades ago, for grading. Also I had about 50 coins, some valued in the 4 figure range, to consign for auction as part of collection pruning. Not that I'm giving up collecting, I'm just changing collecting areas.

Also I wanted to pick up a few interesting US coins in the $500 - $1000 price range.

When I arrived at the show, around 12:30 Saturday, all the major dealers had already packed up and left. NGC, where I wanted to submit my gold coins, had already packed up and was gone. There were no dealers of any consquence where I could at least browse around and see if there were any interesting coins.

Is there any way some of the shows can at least post best hours for collectors to come? It's actually a lot of work to arrange for hotels, flights, carry bags of expensive gold on public fights and show up at a show during the open hours just to find out that noone's there?

This sort of thing gives coin shows a bad reputation. I guess they really don't care about collectors: only the dealers? Can't we at least put some info on major shows on-line so people know that things like "The Orlando Fun Show" is dead after the 1st day?

Pix taken of the show, Saturday around noon
Learn More...
United States
76200 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. That is disappointing.

The local twice yearly three-day show is always dead on Sundays, but is usually good until at least 4 PM on Saturday (with a 6 PM end time). I would think a huge show like that would do just as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4172 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The summer FUN show is well known for being poorly supported/attended.
And the same for the Baltimore Whitman show.

Stick to spring or winter shows.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16904 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've gotten down to the Chicago shows being the only ones I attend regularly. I always enjoyed non-dealer competition vest pocket sales and trades but the shows had so few operating hours that I either did a table (mostly for want list buying-like everyone else), or just bought for my own collection.

The days of easy enjoyment with dealers expounding wise advise and collectors eager to learn as well as buy seems a thing of the past.

With online sales so prevalent shows have much, much less impact.
Pillar of the Community
United States
735 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last summer, I was lucky to catch a little time at Orlando FUN on early Sat PM, and yeah, the "fun" had already left the room. NGC hadn't packed up though, that seems ridiculous. But whatever motivated the dealers seems to have been gone by Sat morning, if it was there at all come Sat, if it was ever really there at all... I think the organizers are having issues in general with summer show. But for those who bother to show up, might as well keep a smile and interest through Sat? It's sad because I've never been to a show that otherwise has the variety as FUN does. The attitude of the dealers was usually the buzzkill.

Good thing is my new home in Utah is supported by a few shows a year where dealers, though fewer, still seem to care.
My hoard of '82s is up to 169! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 3, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 5, 1582 x 12, 1682 x 13, 1782 x 40, 1882 x 45, 1982 x 24
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12372 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As mentioned the summer versions are generally skeletons of the winter show. If you were going to travel for a summer show the ANA would be the one to do it, otherwise it's best to just stick to local shows or shows close enough you can do a round trip in one day. If I was going to go to a FUN show it would be the winter one.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18430 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep away from all large coin shows all year long. Prices are overdone excessively. I'll stick to small shows all the time.
just carl
Great Collections Representative
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add greatcollections to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FUN does a very good job at keeping dealers until a certain time on a Saturday - especially at the January show. It is a shame when people make plans to go to the show and so many dealers have left already.

- Ian
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gallienus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your comments on the coin shows. Maybe it was the Winter FUN show but occasionally dealers from South America used to come up with interesting items. I recall going to one FUN show and seeing someone who had brought an Argentine 1813 Sunface 8 Escudos which is their first gold coin and a rare date. At least someone should post when are good times and shows for collectors to show up and look at stuff.

It has gotten pretty much on-line but I'd like to be able to see some stuff in person.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05