Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Inheritance - What Should I Do?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
6 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  2:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Atesca to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone.

So, knowing nothing about coin collecting I have had some Royal Mint boxes and a few other bits and bobs collecting dust since my Grandmother passed a few years ago. An eagle eyed guest spotted one and told me they may be worth something. After a bit of googling it appears I do have collectibles but what should I do with them?

I have 7 silver proof coins of different denominations still in boxes with certificates, one more that may also be silver proof but no box or certificate, and 3 or 4 bright uncirculated presentation packs. The highlights are a silver proof 2009 Kew Garden 50p that is a little bit tarnished and a BU Kew Garden.

As I said, I have no particular interest in coin collecting and my quick internet search points towards the KG 50p's being worth a little bit but my question is this: what is the best way for me to get rid of these? Do I contact one of these coin dealers online Or sell them myself on ebay? Or something else?

I'll post a more complete list when I get home from work but in the meantime this is what I have:

Silver Proofs
Kew Garden 50p
HMS Dorsetshire 25 dollar Ascension Island
2009 Countdown to 2012 5
Spitfire 5
Hurricane 5 - this is the one with no box or cert
Horatio Nelson 5
4th Olympiad 2
Two others I can't remember here at work

BU
Kew Garden 50p
Shield set of all denominations
Shield design 1 only
Prince Charles 60th birthday crown

and a couple of other bits I cant remember

Learn More...
United States
12458 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Check rggoodie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rggoodie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be very helpful if you posted pictures.
again - welcome
rggoodie
aka Richard
"catch em doing something right"
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29045 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Post a few pics of a two or three coins per post.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5498 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The Kew Gardens 50p coin is certainly worth good money to UK collectors. It would be an idea to check recent sold prices on eBay for all your coins.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
208 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

As to what to do with them, you have three choices:
- Keep them, if you have any interest in them, or someone in the family who might.
- Sell them in bits if you want to make best value. This would be on Ebay or at markets, if you have the energy to do this.
- Sell them in bulk, either to a dealer or through auction. Selling to a dealer is quickest, but you have to trust the dealer to give you a fair price. Auction means the open market determines the value, but consequently you pay high commission to the auctioneer.

Of the ones you mention, the Kew Gardens BU is the best and will make over 100 on Ebay at present. The Silver proof Kew is also good - over 200 on Ebay. The 5 silver proofs are collected but not hugely valuable. (25 to 35 each retail, maybe 15 to 20 to a dealer.) The non-silver BUs are not great value and the non Silver 5 coins are difficult to shift except at face value.

I hope that helps.
United Kingdom
6 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Atesca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, pics, as requested:

United Kingdom
6 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Atesca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United Kingdom
6 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Atesca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3288 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DO NOT CLEAN ANYTHING
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Valued Member
United Kingdom
178 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  05:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pwa 1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Bu carded Kew gardens is worth much more than 100 ,you should get closer to 200.
All the others you dont need to put any more pictures on here as unless any have toned nobody is going to question the grades being in cases or packets.
Go on ebay and look at the prices in completed listings ,this will give you comparable price if you look at the ones highlighted in green.
Just put them on ebay for a price that is similar and dont bother with a dealer.

Good luck.
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
United Kingdom
6 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  03:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Atesca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice everyone, looks like selling them individually by myself is my best option.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05