Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Dy#" For French Coins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
20 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2019  7:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add FirstFrom to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,
I'm doing some investigation of sixteenth-century French coins, and I notice the usage of some sort of catalog numbers that start with "Dy" (just like how most other world coins use "km"). Does anyone know what catalog system or cataloger the "Dy" refers to? Thanks.
Valued Member
Sweden
113 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2019  02:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is Duplessy: Les Monnaies Franšaises Royales de Hugues Capet Ó Louis XVI (987-1793). Its 2nd edition is from 1999 and it comes in two volumes, the first covering Hugo Capet - Louis XII, the second Francis I - Louis XVI. So the split is at 1515, you may need both... You should be able to find them on Amazon or Ebay.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6492 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2019  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note that a few French Coins from the 1500s are also in Duplessy's Feudal coins volumes (from 2004 and 2010), so you may need to get those as well. Unfortunately, all are in French.
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2019  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FirstFrom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you erafjel and pepactonius for taking the time to answer me. This is exactly the information I needed. I will look for this catalog on Amazon or elsewhere on the Internet. And if it just comes in French, I'll manage somehow.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10946 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2019  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Sweden
113 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2019  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Checking what is available on Amazon, two things strike me:
- There are other works with the same or nearly the same title, by authors Ciani and Hoffman, make sure you get the ones by Duplessy. (While Duplessy is referenced with Dy, C is Ciani and H or Hoff is Hoffman.)
- The Duplessy book offers I see are pretty costly... You should perhaps consider buying them from the French coin dealer www.cgbfr.com, at a better price. (Enter "Duplessy monnaies francaises royales" in the search field.) Although I do not know how customs and other fees will affect the price.
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2019  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FirstFrom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Dorado -- that was an interesting article. And thank you erafjel for the follow-up info about the importance of getting the Duplessy version (since those are the numbers I'm seeing in Numista). Yes I saw the very high prices on Amazon. So I started looking for alternatives and found that Stanford University (which is only about an hour from me) has a reference copy in their library. I might just drive down there and look it over, maybe take some notes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2598 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2019  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will just say that I am married to a librarian who used to work in San Mateo, and she will be very happy to hear that the Stanford library is helping numismatists who post here
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05