Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking For Those Who Are Starting Out And Serious About Collecting...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,133Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
131 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2019  11:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am fairly but I have learned alot in the past two weeks and learning what it takes to be a collector and values on different aspects to it.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2019  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep asking questions. We all love to help one another regardless of how long we've been collecting.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
653 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2019  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sarge50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ME, ME, ME!! Sarge50

PS: Also have some excited Boys finding errors in my box of wheat pennies! 13 & 15 year old....better then being on a PlayStation all afternoon, lol!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19352 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2019  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm just starting out coin collecting but my starting out is now about 70 years long.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2019  03:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very happy to hear all those willing to help. I hope to be able to learn alot here. I saw just carl posted on another post but ill adress it here by the way carl I also messaged you over there so u may see it twice its got me questioning. Mybe this deserves more than one post to keep organized. There will be a follow up question to this. It may be a different post though I will mention where to find it.

How do you score a coins value is it by
A. seeing what its been sold before and then repositng it for that price?
B. grade and error and metals
C.books
D.communities
E.Store prices
F.All of the above.

Edited by youngmaster
09/06/2019 2:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
653 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2019  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sarge50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F.
Valued Member
United States
377 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2019  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with F, but as a seller you must find a buyer willing to pay your price.
The book prices and store prices are too high for my liking as a buyer. I do auctions and the prices vary quite a bit.
As a seller you might have a bottom number in mind and can get higher profit at times.
There are selling fees and shipping that must be considered if not selling local. I also don't like paying sales tax on coin purchases but that's just me.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2019  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How do you score a coins value is it by
A. seeing what its been sold before and then repositng it for that price?
B. grade and error and metals
C.books
D.communities
E.Store prices
F.All of the above.

Everything and even that is just a starting point for a lot of coins. While common things like common date common grade Morgans have pretty standard prices as do bullion items things like Seated coinage prices can be all over the place (justifiably so) even within the same grade depending on quality.

Quality for grade, eye appeal, originality, difficulty of finding one etc are all things that can easily make things worth more than the price guides.
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2019  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I need to think more on your responses. This could mean its also about eye appeal to the buyer. This has been helpful. I have made alot of progress with your responses to understanding better how one decides they buying price is based on what they see in part aswell as rarity for that mintage kind.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2019  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This could mean its also about eye appeal to the buyer.

Eye appeal is without question a significant part of pricing.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2903 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2019  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1. a true coins value is determined, by the person selling it and the person buying, when the 2 have met at an equally valued price, then the true value has been determined..

2. rarity, and grade will have a huge influence on the price, that is to be determined..

3. How motivated is the seller to sell , and how motivated is the buyer to buy..ie. will another one come up shortly..
seller,s sometimes will take less, the longer they have held the coin, and sometimes, they will sell quickly for a quick profit..

4. is the the coin new to market,this will have a huge influence to price, newly minted, or newly discovered coins, will tend to sell for more money, as more hit the market the price will fall..

Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heres what I'm wondering is that where the training of the eye comes into play by looking at so many differenct coins and to be able to distinguish a good one that way. If so whats the best way to train the eye? To get that going.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If so whats the best way to train the eye?

Look at as many coins as you can, particularly graded ones especially with CAC stickers. Ideally you can do this in person looking around at a show, but look on Heritage/Great Collections/eBay/Legend auctions etc and you can see a lot of coins that way. You'll also get to notice which ones sell for strong money and will start to notice that often times the cheapest ones are the cheapest for a reason.

World coins and the highest end coins there's more variables like venue and timing, but general US coins can be fairly predictable in the sense of what should bring strong money and what shouldn't
Learn More...
United States
87820 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2019  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Eye appeal is without question a significant part of pricing.
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do you all feel about toning I have one and want to post a picture but the upload isn't working for me for some reason I think its busted lol
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8810 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I replied to your other two posts with some info that may be helpful with uploading/the optimizer. It's not a good idea to make the same post in multiple threads because it makes it harder for everyone to answer your question (since not everyone reads multiple threads!)
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,133Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05