Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is Driving Silver Prices?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2624 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2019  7:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Nobody asked it yet. So I will any of the members that are into the trends on silver , Do you hac\ve any clue to what is driving the upwqard trend after such a slow and long steady slog in recent months?
Pillar of the Community
United States
946 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2019  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Economic uncertainty. Investors move to save haven like PMs to rough out market volatility and potential crash in the short term.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16015 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2019  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The real silver price has not changed very much.
As with all other commodities silver is quoted and traded in U.S. dollars.

The current trade war between the U.S. and China is the most important driver that is behind any variation in the silver price.

Take away the politics, and the silver price is still in the doldrums with little or no variation, save the general trend in inflation.

The basics of supply and demand for silver consumption has not changed much at all.

To take a long term gamble in silver, is the same as taking a long term gamble in World politics.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3798 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2019  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with both the previous posters.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3680 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With more electronics coming out monthly, exponentially, why isn't demand exploding every month? I think we're just never going to run out of silver for our lifestyle for the lifetime of our species. The US dollar, in relation to the Canadian dollar at least, has been very strong these last 5 years.
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sasquatch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As electronics become more advanced, the circuitry becomes smaller and more tightly packed. Hence, much more can be done using less silver.

Take the cell phone for instance, who here remembers the brick in the 80's? The amount of silver and even gold for certain contacts in those phones used the same as more than 100 modern phones.
Valued Member
United States
320 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought silver prices were manipulated in the past until there was an investigation into the traders. Maybe that has prevented large swings in price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3798 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I thought silver prices were manipulated in the past until there was an investigation into the traders. Maybe that has prevented large swings in price.
Well, we just had some major price swings up and down. The rigging continues, almost blatant at times. Investigations, small fines, no big deal.
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
531 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being that silver has the highest electrical and thermal conductivity properties of all metals, the increase in solar power and radio controlled vehicles, particularly drones, seems to be playing a part. These two industries use quite a bit of the shiny metal. Those are my thoughts, anyhow.

As for the investment side, I've been buying for a few years now while it is low. Think I might need to start buying it in the yard.

Valued Member
United States
485 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add everything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out the silver institute sometime.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18270 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do away with "naked short" selling on COMEX and then we might see where silver should be.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1367 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The commodities market, pure and simple. Those people have no grasp of reality. They simply react. An example would be where AAA has predicted a record number of summer drivers. The traders, seeing a "shortage" of fuel, jump into the market. This drives the price of gas at the pump up TODAY. Even though those contracts are 3 months from now. People seeing the price of gas go up, make different plans and curb their driving. Causing a glut of gas on the market, driving the price down. However; the reality is that there was never a shortage of gas in the marketplace to begin with.

The same thing with silver. When Silver almost hit $50 on the fears of a shortage, the reality was that the Chinese were sitting on a SEVEN year supply of silver for their projected industrial needs. And that was just the Chinese. I'm an Engineer and work in the aerospace industry. It was well known in the trades that there was actually something of a glut of silver on the market. Companies halted purchasing silver knowing that the silver bubble would pop. Why? Well, when the refiners who were buying the scrap silver had trouble finding people to buy their ridiculasly high silver started to have significant surpluses, they stopped buying. I also own a coin shop. Our guy was still buying but had stopped melting a month or so before the collapse. HE was selling bags of 90 percent to stackers, because the commerical market was just not there.

Same thing now. The market is easy to contol and it would not surprise me if someone was manipulating the market to make some quick cash. There is no shortage whatsoever. In fact Silver should probably be down in the $10 to $12 range.
37 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kotsr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alot of great info jmk, under $10 more like 8 is prolly right on the mark, major buyers at $4-6 right now
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2537 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
major buyers at $4-6 right now

who is selling silver for 4-6$?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4303 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is that silver value tags along with gold value.
As gold goes so does silver.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3798 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
who is selling silver for 4-6$?
Ahli bah-bah, don't quote me.
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05