Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Some Help With Id! Thanks

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  9:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add WalkerMo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Learn More...
United States
22573 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to say Valentinian I.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  04:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pilegicvs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be Valentinian II from mint city of ARLES (SCON). Reverse VICTORIA AVGG? seems to show up more on his coins...Don't have RIC in front of me...
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Guys-

I have checked RIC and am having problems finding a VICTIR-IA AVGG for Valentinian I or II. The obverse of this coin is definitely DN VALENTINIANVS PF AVG (no spaces or dashes). Therefore, I think it originally should have been VICTOR-IA AVGGG. There is a possible star in the left field- or not. It looks like a possible SCON in the ex, but there is a lot of room and bumps in the pic.

I think it is a Valentinian II. I am tossing this one back to you WalkerMo. You have the eyeballs on the coin. What do you think you see in the ex?
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WalkerMo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know anything about ancient coins but would like to learn. Could you give a few pointers on what I am looking for. The star in left field- do I look for it on the side with Valentinian head or the other side? Thanks for your help!
Bulgaria
4 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add iulius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unlikely to be RIC 2122 Valentinian III http://www.tesorillo.com/aes/099/099i.htm
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  02:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pilegicvs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found this free download useful - the 2005 edition of E.R.I.C. (there is a later version, so the author made the first edition freely available).

http://www.dirtyoldbooks.com/eric.html

The second chapter is a brief introduction to Roman coins. The rest of the chapters have short summaries of the emperors, etc. Lots of color pictures... Even now, I still review to see typical coins for a given emperor ("Augustus"). The wildwinds website is also fun to browse.

A good magnifying glass is also helpful to read the legends...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05