Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Great News-- The Value Of Your Canadian Collection Has Increased By 30%

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7628 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  8:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Either that or our dollar is suddenly on par with its US counterpart.

I rarely buy a copy of CCN anymore. Yesterday I was blessed with someone's discarded Sept. 17 issue.
I read a couple of articles first then turned to the Trends section.At the top it now says "All prices in USD".The prices are the same as when we all thought it was priced in Canadian dollars.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3069 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty sure Mike was referring to the coins sold from the COOK collection , or at least a typo .
We all know Canadian Coins have definitely NOT increased by 30 per cent .
If anything DECREASED BY 30 would be a more likely scenario.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7628 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have a copy pacificoin?
It's at the top of the page, above everything else,unlikely a typo or reference to something else.
It's the header for the section.
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
09/22/2019 9:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3069 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got it , I subscribe , pretty sure there is a reasonable explanation.
For the most part the Canadian Market is in the tank !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7628 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no "reasonable" explanation.
It's a second rate publication, an embarrassment to this hobby, Trends has never been based on any kind of reality.
They raise the prices across board by 30%, they'll be just as relevant.
No one even noticed,
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
09/23/2019 12:15 am
Valued Member
Canada
378 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed that and it confused me for a bit. Mike is referring to the prices he is quoting from the Cook auction in his commentary.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15873 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see an interesting opportunity for close to border U.S. / Canadian coin collectors:-
Buy in the U.S., when U.S dollar is strong, sell in the U.S when U.S. dollar is weak.
Buy in Canada, when the CDN Dollar is strong, sell in Canada when the CDN Dollar is weak.

Profits can be made to best suit collection building, when travelling Canada to U.S., or vice versa.

In Australia, I have been doing this with coins generally, not just U.S. or CDN coins, over decades.
My problem is I don't have an opportunistic travel situation, and I tend to buy when the AU Dollar is strong, but I don't sell anything. I just have times when I buy more often, or just back off, when coin buying seems more expensive than it should be.
Valued Member
Canada
418 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know how they can correct Trends. It's common practice now for collectors to expect a price of between 40 and 50 per cent of Trends and to consider a price above that excessive. Where that leaves dealers (on the buying end) I'm not sure.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2459 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's common practice now for collectors to expect a price of between 40 and 50 per cent of Trends and to consider a price above that excessive.

Not even close to true. where are you buying coins for 40% of trends. or even 50%, and I am not taking about modern coins.

I would be happy to give you a list of coins that I need.
Valued Member
Canada
418 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silverwolf, if you're paying more than 50% of Trends on a regular basis you're not looking hard enough. I've been buying on eBay for a long, long time and have no trouble getting what I want at the price range expected. And when out and about I won't buy unless prices meet my range expectations.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3069 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a chance you are buying coins that are graded to ICCS standards ( what trends are based on ) @ 40 to 50 per cent of trends , UNLESS THEY ARE COMMON! That part of the market is a mess! Key Date and semi key Date no way!
I have about four want lists I would love to fill and am prepared to Pay more than that as a dealer .
I will start by asking for an 1890 H , 1894 , 1905 Half in EF 40
All the 1908 , 1909 and 1910 C Sovereigns you can find me and I'll pay shipping .
Valued Member
Canada
378 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would be happy to give you a list of coins that I need.

I want to get in on this 40-50% of trends as well! Tamarin, for a certain segment of the market you may be correct, but I have never experienced this consistently. I've kept a spreadsheet that now has 65 auctions on eBay, primarily Victorian silver, that start at $0.99. The average sell price, after shipping and taxes (i.e. what I would have to pay for the item) is 74% of trends.

I find that there seems to be a decent market for lower grade items in VG or F and for nice MS items, but the VF to AU grades often have the highest discounts. It seems that people are either just looking to fill holes in the albums or are looking to build their registry set and there is not a whole lot in between.

Valued Member
Canada
418 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Semi-key dates are easily available at 40 to 50% of Trends. The market is in a slump. The challenging key dates have a very specific market and most collectors aren't in that club. A 1905 half in EF? You'll be shelling out til Christmas. But if you want ICCS compatible scarce or semi-keys - I use the service only because in certain grades (MS) you often have to to complete deals - you'll easily find those in raw state on eBay at friendly prices. There are certain sellers - and I won't name them - who are a treasure and if you miss their offerings then you're missing a lot of joy. There are also certain times of the day to watch for and I won't name them. I meet people all the time who have given up on eBay and I just look at them and grin. There are problems there to be sure and I have excoriated the site for those but all in all the selling giant has been extremely good to me.
Valued Member
Canada
418 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cdncoins, I sold for a long time on eBay and left strictly because I felt eBay management was out of touch with sellers. I sold thousands and thousands of coins there. I have sold through auctions since and another forum. I don't consider myself a collector anymore, just a middleman. I enjoy what I do. I really like coins but I caution all those who deal with me privately that the market likely won't get any better and the prospects for further softness are something you can't ignore. Do not overpay. When buying always consider what the future market will look like.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3069 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where we are going here is interesting . Please define overpaying ?
As an aside , I am still making a pretty decent living in the trade , mostly online since I canned the shop years ago .
Had to switch gears though . Most of our revenue is US based from US and Worldwide coin sales NOT Canadian.
We do one day a week retail at a busy market , the rest online including our own website, EBay and Etsy .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2459 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
you'll easily find those in raw state on eBay at friendly prices
I buy and sell daily, and I watch all newly listed coins,almost daily....including key dates, semi key's, etc. including certified coins.... as I buy and sell, I can't pick up any coin for 40% OF TRENDS, without it being certified, then certify it, and expect to make any money..
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05