Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Help Me Learn More About My Canadian Nickels

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
95 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  12:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Squirmasaurus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello there. I am VERY new to this forum, and fairly new to coin collecting. So, I am working on my Canadian nickels and I am absolutely overwhelmed by all the different varieties and gradings. I have nickels from 1922 right up. According to the Canadian Coin News, even the basic ones from earlier on are worth money in good condition. With that said, how would you suggest I go about determining WHICH ones I should focus on and post for grading and/or assistance with identification? I must add, I have adult ADHD and this is making it more difficult for me to focus on ones that matter and forget about the ones that don't. I don't know if collectors are interested in the basic earlier ones or not. PLEASE HELP! Thank you kindly.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29956 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Have you looked here? http://coinsandcanada.com/
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Canada
95 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Squirmasaurus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. I have looked there. I spend a lot of time on that site. I know there are rare ones, but some of the plain ol' regular earlier nickels are worth money as well. However, I don't know if people are looking for those ones or not. So I don't know how to start "organizing" what I do with my nickels. I'm sorry if that doesn't make much sense but I'm trying to explain it as best as I can. If you were ME, and you have all these Canadian nickels in front of you, what would you do first?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4667 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Get yourself some 2x2's to put them in, then start with 1922 take a pic of both sides of the coin, place it in the 2x2 and right on it what you have, do this with all the coins.

Then as you go along and you have a ? about one you can post a pic and ask the ?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2537 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
in the George V series, the big 3 are 1925, 1926 far 6, and 1932 far 2. in the George VI series, the 1947 dot, and the 1951 high relief. that is for starters..
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16012 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a type set of Canadian Nickels, all in MS grades.
Very interesting with various types of metals.
I found the Tombac Beaver the hardest to track down.
Valued Member
Canada
363 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are millions of old nickels held by countless collectors and dealers, including a large amount of George V's. I saw them in charge during the 1950's (which is a partial reason I collect coins). The low grades will fetch maybe 50 cents. Don't go by price guides for low grades; my old Charlton says $5 for a 1922 in VG, but you'd be lucky to get 50 cents (19 years experience on ebay).

Step 1 - Look at many George V nickels on ebay that are certified by ICCS (I find US TPG's can't grade these at all) to learn to grade them. Forget all other denominations because these are different because of nickel being used for the first time on older machines; weak strikes, wear quickly from shallow obverse details. Heavily circulated and used in coin machines which scratched the heck out of them.

Step 2 - How many nickels do you have ? If there are hundreds, then separate by monarch and put in containers.

Step 3 - get the 1922 to 36's and separate by date. If there are 1925, 26, or 32, put them in 2 x 2's for later (put the fold at the top, use a staple on bottom and 1 side so you can take it out later to view details better).

Step 4 - check all the coins that are left against the photos below.
.... If they look like photos 1-2-3, then they will be very hard to sell; you can find rolls of them on ebay for about $10 (25 cents a coin), not worth the trouble coin by coin. They may sell in mixed rolls, but also around $10.
.... If they look like photos 4-5, or closer to 4 than 3, they will be the ones that will have more value. Any like these should be put in 2 x 2's as they are what collectors need to upgrade from their 1-2-3's, that everyone already has.

Step 5 - All the coins matching photos 1-2-3- (Good to FINE) can be lumped together to sell as a group, or smaller groups in date runs if there are enough. Any coins that look to be between pic3 and pic4 {VF-20 to VF-35} and are not all scratched up nor battered, may be worth 1-5 dollars. I go by the old Charlton grading, by the crownband. For VF, the band must still be visible over the ear, complete line all across, but on these, sometimes they are weak but still can be VF.

Step 6 - go back to any 1925 or 26. The 1925 is valuable in any grade. There are 2 1926's; far and near 6. Photos can be found on this site or numerous other sites. If you have any, you can post the photos for grading on this site.

Step 7 - there is a rare variety for 1932 that is hard to figure out so if you have some, post more photos here, or look up at coinsandcanada.

Step 8- let us know what you have and then you can move to the George VI.

Edited by TerryT
09/27/2019 7:52 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16012 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now, there is someone who knows his Cdn Nickels!
Valued Member
Canada
95 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Squirmasaurus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All I can say is WOW! And....THANK YOU, TERRY T, for taking the time and putting so much thought into your response. It is GREATLY appreciated, and it is absolutely SPOT ON understood. Sounds like you`ve given me a fabulous place to start and refocus again. YAY! :)
Valued Member
Canada
435 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2019  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a great series but most are worth little. And the denomination is respected because this is a coin kids could afford to collect when they still could be pulled from circulation. A guy at a local fleamarket has a bin of them selling four for the dollar. Lots of VF's in there but no one collects the series below EF unless the key dates are involved.
Valued Member
Canada
95 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2019  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Squirmasaurus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have all been so helpful. Most of my nickels are EF or higher, but of course, not in the ones that are worth anything. In this situation, should I just keep one of each date for novelty sake? I find that any coins that I do have that are MS are very hard to part with because they look so darn attractive!! Could be the ADHD....(ooooh..shiny..)
Valued Member
United States
319 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2019  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great stuff TerryT. I have several sets of Canadian nickels less the keys. I'll look closer at the band detail to see if any meet the VF grade. My First set came in a plastic folder by Unisafe brand and I took them out because I wasn't sure it was PVC free. Those are now in 2x2s. My lower grades nickels are stored in plastic coin tubes or a box with other foreign coins that can be dumped out and looked over.

Squirmasaurus, you need an album for your nickels. Sounds like fun filling it up with such good coins.
Edited by Lionel90
09/28/2019 1:56 pm
Valued Member
Canada
95 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2019  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Squirmasaurus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, here's my 1932 Nickel (Near, I believe.) Based on its condition, what would you grade it as?

Valued Member
Canada
95 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2019  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Squirmasaurus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any grading ideas on the 1932 nickel above?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2019  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Squirmasaurus, I'm Not sure if anyone has directed you to this site yet or not but it's a great reference for grades.
Welcome to the world of coins.

Cheers, Bill

http://www.saskatooncoinclub.ca/art...ns-ver2.html
Valued Member
Canada
95 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2019  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Squirmasaurus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome! You guys are such a wealth of helpful information! :)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05