Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hi, I Was Given A Load Of Coins And Know Nothing.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
0 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2019  8:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Darkstar 82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
An old housmate 10 years ago left a box full of coins behind. Long story short I contacted him to return them and he told me to keep them. They have sat in a box in a drwer for the last decade as I know nothing about them and do not have a clue about coins. They are mostly UK coins, 1900 to 1985, with a few odd balls. Am hoping people here can help me identify and value them (example of 1 of the below) some have stamps with them which complicates matters as if I were to sell them I would not know how to even try to value them. Any help will be appreciated.

Also am I allowed to post them all in a single post or do I have to do a post per coin, there are rather a lot of them. Thanks for your time. :)

https://ibb.co/dWJxsY7

https://ibb.co/vJmR56P

https://ibb.co/QJJK3q6

Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2019  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Check chrisof4's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chrisof4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum DarkStar82!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10946 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2019  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2019  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JRod to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm new here too.
Assumption that these are maybe a commemorative set and going with a birthday? If the coin on the stamp match the coin i'de definitely keep them together. However I don't recognise them.
Learn More...
United States
78471 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2019  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2436 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2019  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They seem to be crowns, from the British territory - Baliwick of Guernsey.

It would be helpful to see both sides of the coins but the first step should be to establish if the are silver or not (I this probably not but its possible). There is a tissue paper test which can be done without hurting the coins which may give you an indication.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
232 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2019  04:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The coin posted is a Guernsey Crown from 1980, celebrating the Queen Mother's 80th birthday. It is not silver and sadly has little value these days. (face value was 25p at the time, modern Guernsey stuff floods the market and First day covers are out of fashion.)
I don't recommend trying to post them all here as it sounds like there is quite a lot, and much of it will be very common. If you can find a local collector or dealer in your area, they would be able to spot anything worth posting easily. A few guides:
- British bronze coinage of 20th century is mostly scrap metal these days unless it is early and in excellent condition.
- British white metal coinage has silver content if it is dated 1946 or earlier and this boosts the price a lot. post 1947 it is cupro-nickel and is again scrap metal unless in excellent condition.
- Channel Island, Isle of Man etc coins can be interesting if they are early, but the commemoratives post 1970 are low.
- Surprisingly, early 50ps can be good, so check those through.
- Foreign coinage is a much bigger topic, but mostly needs to be pre-1965.

I hope that helps.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
605 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2019  05:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum.

A good starting place to help identify what UK coins you have is

coins-of-the-uk.co.uk

If you want a cheap but fairly comprehensive price guide try

Coin Yearbook 2019 by Token Publishing, 10 from big newsagents and bookstores. You might want to delay for a short while as the 2020 edition will be around soon. Just be aware that prices are only a rough guide. Expect less if you sell to a dealer.

Most 20th century UK coins are not all that valuable. Silver and gold always has value, scrap value if nothing else. British silver up to 1919 was 92.5% silver. In 1920 it was debased to 50% silver. From 1947 there was no silver at all, just base metal. This was just for circulation coins and cheap commemoratives. Gold and silver coins were and are still produced to commemorate things, and very rarely escape into circulation.

Every now and then rare dates on otherwise common coins are worth a bit more.

A couple of tips:

If things come in sets don't split them up. Not only is it a shame from a historical point of view, but it could affect value.

Don't clean coins. If you have something unusual cleaning it can drastically reduce what it is worth. Check out this website for more info.

Not only welcome to this forum, but welcome to the start of a fascinating world.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05