Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Searching For Ways To Save Time.......

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2019  03:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Webs to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am not yet in a position where I have the volume or the money to buy a Ryedale penny separator. But a thought also came to me while I was looking into that: is there anything out there that has optical recognition-like capabilities that could separate pennies into piles by year & mint mark. There would need to be a way to separate them by a larger common denominator (probably by decade), because of how many dates there are. Given the scarcity of wheaties in rolls, I would be happy to have the first run pull all the wheaties into a pile, all the foreign into a pile, all of the ones it could not discern into a pile, pull out the 1959's, and then the rest by their respective decades. That would total 10 piles. Of course, running them first through a Ryedale would separate out the copper from the zinc and separate the 1982's. And any >1982 dates that fell into the copper pile, could be rarities. Same for any <1983 dates falling into the zinc pile.

soo........I did find an URL that talked about 7-8 different patents filed for this kind of thing, but other than some machine out there that is used to identify & separate ancient coins, I have found nothing like what I was looking for that actually exists today.

Has anyone seen such machine?
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2019  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hoxsie454 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for giving me a reason to stay awake all night! Actually, I never even considered getting a coin sorting device, but I did a search on coin separator sorters and came up with about 600 hits ranging in price from high hundreds of dollars down to ten buck items. Some descriptions advised the reader that the device was prone to jambs. Yeah, I bet that is right.

The optical scanner would have to view each coin separately, differentiate heads from tales, read the date and the mint mark, and direct the coin ultimately to its appropriate pile destination. And that is just to start. There should be reasonable weight and size parameters checks, magnetism. (Groan)

For the volume of coins that pass through my hands I guess I will have to be content with holding each coin in my gloved hands while inspecting it through my loupe as I have for the past seventy years. It might make an interesting Christmas gift to the family who has everything.
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Webs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOL.....indeed.....I cannot imagine such a machine costing less than a few thousand dollars, BUT.....if it worked accurately, think of the time I could save.

1) I would have a Ryesdale to separate by weight. (But I am guessing that coins too light below 2.50g, to high above 3.1g, and in no-man's land centered between 2.50-3.1g will fall (somewhere), but not in a third pile. Never used one, so I really don't know.)

2) For the zinc years with no Fivaz-Stanton exceptions, I could immediately roll them & get them out of my sight.

3) For 1959-1981, for those years where I have what I need and there are no Fivaz exceptions, I could roll them immediately & put them into my copper stash.

4) For all of the others, they would be sorted by year/mint mark. If a rare copper (or supposedly unique aluminum) coin came up in the wrong pile, I would know it after this separation, because I would have already separated them out by weight with the Ryesdale. And when looking through the rest for double dies, repunches, etc, I would already have all of one year/mint mark separated so that I could fixate on just those exceptions for a period of time.

For me, it would save 50-75% or more of the time I spend with boxes of pennies now. I figure that given that it has to orient itself coin by coin to identify them, it might take 8 hours to go through $25 of coins. But as long as the machine stopped (and after a time powered down) if something jammed, I could let it run overnight and at least do box a day.....and still have a life doing pone of my many other hobbies.

Oh.....and since there apparently is no such machine available yet, I would suspect it would be many revisions and advances (and years) away from being able to identifier mint errors and the like.
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Webs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just thought I would bump this to the top again to see if anyone who missed this message the first time is aware of the kind of coin recognition/sorting machine I discussed here.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05