Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unidentified Medieval Coin 6 - Copper Or Billon - Any Ideas, Please ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1719 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  8:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

1.53g

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
Pillar of the Community
United States
2472 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Poland. Copper shilling of Jan Casimir.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2472 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rotate your reverse photo about 105 degrees, and you will see a knight on horseback, which indicates one of the Lithuanian mints. Date is at 11:00-11:30 and looks like 1665.
Edited by tdziemia
10/02/2019 10:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1719 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks very much.
I'm amazed you can see a date. I've got the coin in front of me and I can't see a date, though just to the left of a blob above the sword seems to be a 6.

I can't see the letters under the head but there seems to be ".KP." under the horse. The legend on the reverse seems very crude but it might be off the edge.. The obverse seems to read "IOAN CAS REX".

Pillar of the Community
United States
2472 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes I think I see more than is really there.

As you've probably figured out, this type only ran from 1664 to 1666. The 1664 is not very common. I thought I saw a 5 clockwise from where you see the 6 ... but maybe this is where the crown should be, and I'm wrong. Here is a 1665 https://wcn.pl/archive/138355?q=pol...1665+&page=4

And here is a 1666 https://wcn.pl/archive/109280?q=pol...C4%85g+1666+

There are also A LOT of counterfeits with poorer workmanship on the legends and dates.

Valued Member
Poland
306 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add geraltttt82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by geraltttt82
10/08/2019 2:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1719 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tdziemia,
Your are so right! My apologies for not believing you.
My friend Billy, who in spite of being 80, has 20-20 vision with only a vestige of a cataract, immediately said 1665, and showed me where the 5 is!

The reverse lettering might begin SOLID MAG but if so, the SOL is very poorly formed.
I can't see a shield unless the shape behind the rider (which I thought was an angel's wing!) is the shield - is it?

Is Brzesc Brest?
Krause lists mint officials' initials but
where are the mints and identities listed, please ?

Valued Member
Poland
306 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add geraltttt82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

About "Pogon" and the mints, here is the picture of few examples (from Cezary Wolski catalog)

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2769 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There used to be a really nice picture on Numista, but it disappeared when the various years and mints were split into their own separate pages.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2472 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@geraltt, thanks for that contribution.

I know that many of us have these boratinki, but we don't have the Wolski catalog to help with the mints.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05