Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1974-P 1c Lincoln. Need Grading Help. Is It MS66?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  4:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Frankhodges to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Phila Mint has a history of poor strikes but this 1974 Cent may be an exception.

The coin has a mirror of proof-like finish although the Mint produces only business strikes. This coin has a mirror of proof-like finish and very few marks.

In my vast INEXPERIENCE with grading, I dare guess it at MS66. The NGC grading Scales mentions a few imperfections(MS67), minimal marks and hairlines(MS66), moderate marks or hairlines(MS65) Several obvious marks or hairlines and other miniscule imperfections(MS64).

The descriptive words used are based on opinion..., a "few", "minimal", "moderate", "obvious" marks, "miniscule" So, it appears that only with experience can one ever grade accurately.

Anyway, thanks for what you guys do.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The photos aren't sharp enough to give a numerical grade. From what I can see, it is not fully red, which would be needed to attain a TPG worthy submission.

I realize that you are trying to increase your grading experience, but those photos make it tough.

Also on the obverse left field it appears that there are numerous parallel lines which would indicate mechanical (hand) cleaning. But again, the photos can't conclude that either.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42158 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All kinds of problems here, including wrapping/vending machine damage, lots of nicks around the date, and some apparent horizontal cleaning lines on the obverse. I'd grade it AU details, just a spender.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
10/12/2019 4:29 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11844 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
not even close to a 66 . Need better photos for sure, but still not a mint state coin .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16060 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to have a previous cleaning that retoned. AU coin, worth 1 cent.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Frankhodges to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't focus on the Cent but here is a better set
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16060 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To get to 66 and up a coin needs blazing luster like this:

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nieuw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that is a proper MS-66+ coin example
Edited by Nieuw
10/13/2019 7:35 pm
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Frankhodges to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK. The luster of mine was provably due to cleaning as someone said
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05