Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 Special Edition Louis Riel Silver Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4123 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  5:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The new Louis Riel silver dollar is currently available to MC members and should be available to all very soon.

It is priced at $59.95 CAD and has a mintage limit of 15,000.

The RCM web site is not yet showing an image of the coin, saying "Unveiling Soon." I still think a special event for the coin is planned by the RCM with representatives from the Métis nation on Riel's birthday.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4123 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The RCM web site now has images of the coin; they were uploaded around noon today.

In checking the specs more closely, I noticed that the weight of the coin was reduced to 20.86 grams from the previous 23.17 grams - a 10% decrease. I asked the RCM rep about it when I was ordering my coin and was told that the weight had, in fact, been reduced and that it wasn't a mistake/typo.

To reduce the weight but keep the same diameter, the thickness of the coin had to be reduced. The reduced thickness and decrease in weight could potentially impact the coin's design relief in the future - there's less silver available to move and fill the dies!

I would have preferred the issue price of the coin to go up a few dollars vs. having its silver weight reduced.

Edited by commems
10/22/2019 2:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
573 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yet another example of RCM changing the format for no reason.
Valued Member
Canada
422 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's all about making more $$$ for the RCM by reducing the silver content and not changing the price of the coin. GREED.
"If you lose it here, you're in a world of hurt"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
573 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shipping in November according to the press releases (mint website says Nov 13).
Pillar of the Community
Canada
642 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dont buy 25 cent oversize coins nor this
Pillar of the Community
United States
760 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I dont buy 25 cent oversize coins nor this
Unfortunately, I'm a coin addict and am 'stuck' into buying lots of coins I shouldn't.
I finally bought the Riel dollar today (had trouble online, had to get help by phone). It looks interesting to me and will fit in nicely to my silver dollar folder. I WAS notified, however, that it won't be mailed until December 30th, so I won't have it in my hands until early next year.
I also tried to get the Toronto Raptor quarter but was denied. I told the woman on the phone that it only was because the Detroit Pistons were the only team the Raptors didn't beat last year, so the Detroit area is banned from any Raptor souvenirs. :) She denied this, but I could swear I heard her say "Sucker" right before she hung up the phone.
Valued Member
Canada
338 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems

Quote:
I noticed that the weight of the coin was reduced to 20.86 grams from the previous 23.17 grams

I just looked on mint.ca and the weight is listed as 23.17g. Maybe it was a typo in the first place.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4123 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just looked on mint.ca and the weight is listed as 23.17g. Maybe it was a typo in the first place.

Maybe my email to the RCM about it got through to the correct person and they realized it was a mistake.

I hope the 23.17 grams that is currently listed is the correct weight for the coin.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
573 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2019  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also the RCM website now shows shipping date change to Dec-30 (earlier press releases state available in November).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4123 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2019  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Alex A: I saw the shipping date change - quite a push back on the date. I checked my order status and it is still showing a November ship date. I wonder if I ordered early enough to be included in the first batch of coins to be distributed?

It's all subject to change, of course, so I'll continue to check on my order from time to time. I've had my shipping date change on previous orders, so it wouldn't surprise me to see my date changed on this coin.

Valued Member
Canada
338 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2019  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I hope the 23.17 grams that is currently listed is the correct weight for the coin.

@Commems

Canada Post just delivered my coin and the COA said 23.17g. I didn't take it out of the capsule and weigh it but it looks the same size as the other SDs.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4123 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2019  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@vonigohcr: Thanks much for the update. I'm glad to get confirmation on the weight.

I look forward to receiving mine.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4123 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2019  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It just occurred to me...

We now know that the posting of the 20.86 grams weight for the Riel SD was a mistake, but what if the mistake was one of timing?

Maybe the RCM will be reducing the weight for its SDs beginning with the January 2020 releases! The new weight might have simply been posted with the Riel SD in error.

We'll know soon enough!

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05