Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2009 D Penny Info Please.rare?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  09:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Datelinenbc to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can I get any info on this 2009 D penny iv looked everywhere and from what I have read this year shouldnt have this on the reverse. And second. It weighs 3.12.
Any info would be a great help

Tanks Carl

Pillar of the Community
United States
799 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cross-eyed to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a magician coin.Two coins that have been milled down so they snap together.You can see the seam going around the obverse rim.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2530 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  09:40 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it looks like someone vised a coin inside another, see how the reverse of the coin is bulging out. And the obverse of the coin is sticking up way to high.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29874 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. It is post mint damage, not a mint error.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1310 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  09:44 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

The surfaces of your coin don't look normal. It's too smooth and looks flattened. This could be a Magician's coin. Someone took a 2009 cent and added the Memorial reverse from another coin.

The weight of 3.12 tells me that the bulk of the coin is copper. They either hollowed out the 2009 cent and replaced the metal with a coin from 1959 to 1982 or they started with one of the special issue 95% copper 2009 cents.

I think I can see a seam on the obverse rim. Does it look like you could "open" the coin?
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Pillar of the Community
United States
714 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flag4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Looks like someone went to a lot of trouble to create a "Frankenstein" penny!

BTW

Edited by flag4
10/22/2019 10:22 am
Learn More...
United States
78167 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17898 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We look forward to your participation.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5715 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

What a fascinating oddity. There is no way that a zinc cent could see so much wear on the portrait without the zinc core showing through - it's just too thin.

I think you have a 100% genuine fake cent. Couldn't begin to tell you why someone would make such a thing--a 2009 memorial reverse would be extremely valuable, but this coin isn't fooling anyone. Several members have found counterfeits of 2004 Lewis & Clark commemorative nickels. Maybe someone is messing with us?
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
United States
740 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking it was re-plated after it was worked to join the two, trying to make it more believable. I think that's the seam around the obverse edge.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05