Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sales Tax On Out Of State Purchases Of Silver

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  4:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought silver from several dealers out of state and paid shipping costs but not sales tax. In Virginia the state income tax form asks you to pay tax for these purchases when you file. Virginia is an "origin" based tax state. Not sure what that means, but today I was all set to buy some silver and in the checkout total was shipping and TAX Charges. I don't think the dealer has a business in the state. Same thing happened on a small EBay purchese. I paid a small tax, but this time I cancelled the order. What does the forum think? Is this the new normal paying Shipping and tax?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3323 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Google for the Wayfair vs. South Dakota decision. Also for "Virginia Sales Tax Wayfair" (almost every state has a page up with their personalized data)

No need for yet another (of hundreds of ranting posts) thread....
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Homework. Uggh.
I went to APMEX and paid the tax but got free shipping.
Thanks.
Google result.
Virginia passed a law in July 2019. Charging tax for sales over $100,000 and 200 transactions. Shouldn't apply to small eBay vendors but would apply to major bullion dealers.
We don't need 100 rants - I'll do it all in one post.
Edited by Lionel90
11/16/2019 7:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3323 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note that per the Virginia page, it's "$100K or 200 transactions" and it's a previous or current year - so if you are a remote seller in 2019, you'll be collecting and remitting tax from $1 in 2020 - means your customers will be paying it...

https://www.tax.virginia.gov/remote...onomic-nexus

-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  03:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds complex. Better not reach that 200 transaction limit.
I guess it's different for each state. I won't sell my collection on EBay just yet.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
728 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried to purchase some silver today and got an error message from eBay that said:

This is the first time that I have ever had this problem
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05