Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1776 -1996 Bicent Coin - Looking For Value

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  11:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Blitzcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I purchased this coin back in 1996 as part of the bicentennial. I can't find anything on it and I don't know if its considered a coin, token, commemorative item... I'm trying to figure out the value. I think its silver and its uncirculated.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1540 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see something like this on a site this one won't let me link to. That site claims it's made of aluminum, so you might get a couple of bucks for this on eBay as a collector's item -- it's in pretty good shape.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1609 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does look like an aluminum strike. Is the coin heavy or light for it's size?

Here's one like it on ebay... 174101499293
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Edited by Yokozuna
11/20/2019 11:56 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10424 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  02:30 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is it's aluminum. Isn't that star on the obverse a company logo? It looks familiar to me. Maybe a bank? Old logo?

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
2667 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  05:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of thousands that were made for a profit, As been said appears to be aluminum. Generally tokens,medals that were stamped for the Bi centennial it was in 1976 not 1996 are worth much due to the number that were minted. As to the star that style turned up on a lot of items stamps included. With a bronze medalet and plastic token in side the first day covers.

They were issued each year for a number of years. these generally sell for a $1.00 or $2.00 or the bargain bin
Since there were so many assorted style minted anybody with the cost of a set of dies and cost of 100 or 1,000 planchets could make and sell them.

As to value you will find most over priced on the bay or other sights and don't sell for much. Locally they are found in the 50% off or bargian bin.

Google bi centennial images not the sponsered for sale images, like the moon shots tokens many were minted few are worth any thing
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42891 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting - learned a lot myself here!

to the CCF!
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blitzcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all, I'm thinking aluminum by the weight and the picture of the exact coin on Ebay. You all make this site great to be part of.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1540 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Isn't that star on the obverse a company logo? It looks familiar to me. Maybe a bank? Old logo?

Nope, just the logo "commissioned by the American Revolution Bicentennial Commission" -- it was everywhere.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite...Bicentennial
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05