Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada 2004 Cent "Black Penny" Struck On Unknown Foreign Planchet

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1414 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  03:40 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thoughts?

Learn More...
Canada
8691 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  03:45 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ballcone strike, very nice

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could it be zinc? Or maybe a dime planchet? I think I saw a dime with the same patina as the left side of the obverse.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10413 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  05:13 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For those of us who don't know...what is a Ballcone strike? It seems OP's question about the coin is a farce. It's about education, after all, and I request SPP to explain it.

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
11/21/2019 05:15 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4197 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30446 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
737 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, looks like it was struck on a Ballcone burnishing bead, most common in 2004.
What is the weight?

I have a nickel and quarter version.

Too bad no TPG certifies them as such.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1414 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent....here is the entire set of 1c, 5c, 25c.

My next question is, how many of these 2004 penny on ballcone burnishing bead, have people seen?

SPP has seen one in a collection, and I have seen one other in a October 2014 Torex sale (lot 631).

Pillar of the Community
Canada
737 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The nickel and quarter versions are the most common; I've seen maybe a dozen total over the years.

Haven't seen a penny strike tho!
Learn More...
Canada
8691 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  11:17 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your 25c is interesting, in that the entire ballcone (burnishing bead) was not flattened due to an off-centre strike. Any closer pics available?
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
366 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing! Something new learned today.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1414 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2019  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here you go, Roger.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1421 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2019  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are these back door errors ? they all have the same date 2004
Learn More...
Canada
8691 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2019  08:51 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some 25c can be found with 2005 dates...

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1414 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2019  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 25c 2005s must be scarce, I don't recall seeing any.
Learn More...
Canada
8691 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2019  11:03 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How long have you been searching these types?

My eBay store
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05