Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New To Coin Buying, Tips/Advice?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  10:40 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ourownillusion to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Feel free to move this if it isn't the right forum. I tried to pick the first significantly related one I could find.

I want to go from opportunistically collecting to buying, cheaply, and collecting both US coins (already posted in that forum) and world coins, which is what I'm here for. I LOVE collecting world coins. But I don't know where to look? And like I said, I need to stay cheap for now.

- are there any particular reputable sites or dealers on said sites online that I can look for?

- do people on here sell coins? where to I find that link? can I assume that everyone on here is trustworthy, or should I look like how long they've been here before I buy, too?

- is there a site I can learn from? Like, say I find a particular coin for sale, is there a site I can go and look it up and compare/contrast what I see to what it should be?

thanks in advanced! like I said feel free to notify me and dm me if its not in the right spot.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7202 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ebay is a good place to learn from past sales, and to see what's available. Just go slow, and do all the research before you buy. We all made a few mistakes when learning, but try to keep them to a minumum. Research, research, research.....and ask questions here if you have doubts.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
eBay will by far be your best source of world coins. Great Collections has some as well at various price points. Both are good for US coins though most of the US coins on GC will be of higher value
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
777 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2019  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the site ourown. If I knew 4 years ago what I know now would have started this way. My 4 prized boxes of junk totaling about $1400.00 is a solid reminder how I ignored basic coin collecting strategy year one. I muscled my way through year 1 and got bruised.
Cammy's would haves:
1. Thought carefully "just what lights up my frontal lobe" ie what series excites me.
2. Buy books and learned my series inside and out BEFORE I started buying.
3. More coins added up to less, should bought best coins I could afford avoiding uncertified key and semi-key dates. Someday everyone's coins will be back in the market- I basically bought $1,400.00 CD that gives -50% interest from jump. Right coins always hold or steadily move up in $.
4. Steered well wide of modern proof and uncirculated sets direct from mint, could have paid 2-3 bucks over face couple years later for same sets.
5. Was less rigid in my reluctance to pay full book or slightly over for solid TPG graded key/semikey coins. There now seems to be a reason "some" coins go fast at full book.
6. Went to more coin shows and relied less on eye numbing futile ebay searching.
7. Took half glass empty approach at some coinshops, not all dealers were my friends and its ok to decline a coin. Every bad coin I purchased a little whisper said "hmmmm I don't know cammy" would have listened to that gut more.
8. Learned, studied, followed auctions, asked more questions.
9. Chill and remember this is my hobby not the quest or egotrip.
10. Read the black letters in my coin series books and not the white letters in the articles experts provided in commentary's section.
11. Avoided like the plague corroded key date coins.
12. Pull off horseblinders pulled out cotton from ears and listened more.

Now remember these are my lessons and their subjective. My $1400.00 pile of junk today could have easily bought an MS62RB 1909 S v.d.b. cent when I started. I'm catching on you will to. Good luck in your collecting journey.
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MarkCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That seems like good advice luvmyCAM

Quote:
4. Steered well wide of modern proof and uncirculated sets direct from mint, could have paid 2-3 bucks over face couple years later for same sets.

Hmmm, now I feel bad for auto-enrolling in the annual non-silver Proof Set. On to do some research on prices.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05