Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My First Animal On A Coin.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 145 / Views: 6,038Next Topic
Page: of 10
Valued Member
United Kingdom
300 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The sphinx coin below comes from Perge (or Perga) which was an ancient Greek city in Anatolia, and once the capital of Pamphylia Secunda. Pamphylia was a former region in the south of Asia Minor, between Lycia and Cilicia, extending from the Mediterranean to Mount Taurus. It was bounded on the north by Pisidia and was a very small country, having a coast-line of only about 120 km (75 miles) with a breadth of about 50 km (30 miles). Today, it is a large site of ancient ruins 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) east of Antalya on the coastal plain. An acropolis located there dates back to the Bronze Age.

Perga's most celebrated ancient inhabitant, the mathematician Apollonius (c.262 BC - c.190 BC), lived and worked there. He wrote a series of eight books describing a family of curves known as conic sections, comprising the circle, ellipse, parabola, and hyperbola.

Perge, Pamphylia. 3rd cent. BC.
Obverse: Sphinx, wearing kalathos, seated right. Reverse: Artemis standing left. Reverse Inscription: NANAYAΣ ΠΡEIIAΣ (first N retrograde). Bronze. Diameter: 15 mm. Weight: 3.6 gr. Reference: Sear Greece 5417.

This post was going to be followed up by my first Griffin coin, but the vendor couldn't find it, or two others I had bid on! Very disappointing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2104 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you say griffin?

"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Valued Member
United Kingdom
300 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice indeed @thq. I'm still on the griffin hunt after this recent disappointment.

Hopefully your Mysian tunny will arrive soon, and I look forward to seeing the picture.

Jim
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1931 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good looking coin jim!...Nice detail on the Sphinx especially the head!
Just for your reference I've seen a lot of this type coin reverse described as...(Artemis standing left, holding wreath and sceptre), your Artemis certainly seems to be holding something in her right hand?...
Sorry to hear about the lost Griffin, but I'm sure another will turn up soon...Good luck.....And if I come across anything I'll let you know..

paul

BTW...A sphinx is on my want list but I just keep getting outbid at the last second..
Pillar of the Community
United States
2104 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mysian tunny hekte. Electrum 2.7g. There is a lion too, but not very well defined

"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
07/11/2020 7:39 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
300 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen two types of the sphinx coin Paul, both almost identical. One says Artemis is holding a wreath and sceptre, while the other says a wreath and torch. I can't make out which one it is.

Quote:
A sphinx is on my want list but I just keep getting outbid at the last second.

The dreaded snipers at work! Good luck for a future auction. I had been watching a pretty nice Akragas coin with the eagle and crab, but it went for double my maximum bid. I did get this one, and though it's not nearly as nice, it is my first Akragas crab reverse.

Sicily, Akragas. 425-406 BC.
Obverse: Eagle right and Fish. Reverse: Crab and two Fish. Bronze. Diameter 18 mm. Weight: 7 gr.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
300 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Mysian tunny hekte. Electrum 2.7g.

A really nice coin @thq. It was worth the wait.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1931 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  02:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One says Artemis is holding a wreath and sceptre, while the other says a wreath and torch. I can't make out which one it is.
....Yes I see what you mean!.....Either way it's still a nice looking coin...

Good looking crab...There does seem to be a lot of competition on the greek bronzes at the moment...

Valued Member
United Kingdom
300 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Paul.

Quote:
There does seem to be a lot of competition on the greek bronzes at the moment.

Indeed. Up to a few weeks ago there didn't seem to be much of a demand, but recently they appear to have become more attractive.

This tiny coin has been tucked away for a long time. As far as I can make out it is a fractional kakini of the Nagas Narwar. Padmavati was their capital. It is located in Madhya Pradesh in central northern India. The small bulls (this one) are apparently attributed to Ganapati.

Any information on these little coins would be welcome.

Nagas of Padmavati, c.300-340 AD.
Bronze. Diameter: 9 mm. Weight: 0.9 gr. Thickness: 2.64 mm.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1931 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  01:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin again Jim....
Here's a short thread I ran a couple of years ago on a similar coin I had just picked up and gives you a little bit more info......Paul
http://goccf.com/t/305471

Valued Member
United Kingdom
300 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is more information in your thread Paul, than I found in all my internet searches. Thank you for the link, it made very interesting reading.

The table of devices will make any future additions much easier to identify.

Jim
Valued Member
United Kingdom
300 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2020  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This little coin caught my eye having a crayfish on the reverse. It was listed as Mysia, Priapos. Apollo facing, and crayfish reverse. With the reference: Sear 3987v. It is a neat little coin, but I can't find any information on the coin, or the Sear reference number.

Mysia, Priapos, 3rd cent. BC.
Obverse: Bust of Apollo facing. Reverse: ΠΡΙ above crayfish left. Sear 3987v. Bronze. Diameter 11 mm. Weight: 1.4 gr.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5099 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2020  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a nice rendition of the crayfish.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
300 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2020  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob, I am really pleased with the amount of detail on the little crayfish.

There appears to be another character to the right of the "I" above the crayfish, and after looking a dozens of coins in ACSearch I found the one below. There is an "A" to the right, making it ΠΡΙΑ.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3764408

Though the coin found on ACSearch is in poorer condition, I'm sure it's the same coin type. I'm much happier that the original attribution appears to be correct.

Greek
Mysia, Priapos 3rd century BC. Laureate head of Apollo facing slightly right / Crayfish left; ΠΡΙΑ above. Lindgren III 29.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1931 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2020  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice coin Jim....
I agree with Bob the crayfish certainly has got nice detail and I also think you've done well with bust too..
Good detective work on ID'ing this little hard to come by type..
Paul
Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 145 / Views: 6,038Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05