Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2020 75th Anniversary Of V - E Day Silver Dollar

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4257 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  12:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It looks like it is back-to-back WWII themes for the RCM's annual commemorative silver dollar. I've been checking eBay the past few days for new listings of Canada's 2020 commemorative SD and, last night, came across one for the 2020 silver dollar and another for the 2020 fine silver proof set with the selectively gold-plated SD.

The theme for the 2020 SD is the 75th anniversary of V-E Day (Victory in Europe Day). V-E Day is the day nearly all of Germany's armed forces surrendered across Europe - it happened on May 8, 1945.

In January 2019, the RCM released its 75th anniversary of D-Day SD which proved to be popular with collectors and those seeking a souvenir to commemorate the event. I wonder if the 2020 WWII-themed SD will prove as popular? It certainly commemorates a milestone event in WWII history!

I'll post images of the SD when I get my coins in January. Until they are listed on the RCM web site in a week or so, however, you can check out eBay to get a glimpse of them.

Edited by commems
12/29/2019 12:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
580 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you commems, good info!

Is this SD confirmed to be included in the RCM January 2020 release?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4257 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is this SD confirmed to be included in the RCM January 2020 release?

The January release has traditionally included the year's regular-issue commemorative silver dollar, so it seems very likely that it will be part of the first release of the new year.

Also, the fact it is already showing up on eBay suggests its general release is very soon.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
6584 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for info, Commems

The stock images on the eBay show the 1945-2020 V-nickel coin included in the Silver set.

I found the design of SD to be OK, could be more interesting.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4257 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  01:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I found the design of SD to be OK, could be more interesting.

Perhaps.

Initially, my thinking was that I would have preferred to have had the three soldiers in the foreground be fully-detailed renderings vs. the silhouettes. I've now read that the three figures (representing those who served in Canada's navy, army and air force during WWII) are supposed to be a "scene or remembrance" symbolizing all who fought. With that knowledge, I think the choice to use non-identifiable silhouettes works.

I like the "chaos" of the jubilation scene in the background. The V-E celebrations in the Allied nations were often crowded and uproarious - I think the SD captures that emotion.

Edited by commems
01/02/2020 01:27 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4257 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The RCM issued a press release earlier today about its January release. As is typical, the annual SD was given center stage in the Mint's first media release of the year.

From the release:

"OTTAWA, Ontario, Jan. 7, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Seventy-five years after Canadian soldiers and their allies liberated Western Europe in the closing months of the Second World War, the Royal Canadian Mint is dedicating its annual Proof Silver Dollar to their memory. This exceptional collectible features the artwork of accomplished coin designer Pandora Young, who has vividly illustrated the outpouring of emotion of civilians cheering the victorious troops. In tribute to each military branch, the distinct silhouettes of a sailor, soldier and airman stand out in a mirror-like finish before a thankful crowd. A large "V" for victory at the centre of the coin and a 1945-2020 double date complete the design. This same illustration appears in the 2020 Fine Silver Proof Set, which features selective gold plating on the "V" and the rim of the Proof Silver Dollar. That special coin accompanies 99.99% pure silver versions of Canada's 2020 circulation coins. These memorable keepsakes, and many others offered in the first product launch of 2020, are available as of today."

The release also included images:

Valued Member
Canada
363 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2020  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Commems

Thanks for the images. Just a question, is this the first time that the reigning monarch is not on the obverse of the annual SD. I know that KGVI and KGV have been on "special edition" releases but not the prime annual release.

<Edit - Added>
I just checked and there are only 3 non reigning monarch 36mm SDs:
- 2010 - 75th Anniversary of Voyageur (KGV)
- 2011 - 100th Anniversary of original Dollar (KGV)
- 2015 - 100th Anniversary of In Flanders Fields (KGV)

All of these are in the "Special Edition" category.

I am excluding the 34mm Piedfort and the "renewed Series" which have had more variety in Obverse image.

Is this a new trend to use the monarch on the throne when an anniversary is commemorated... Should we look forward to a Victoria obverse on the SD when 1867 is next commemorated?
Edited by vonigohcr
01/09/2020 12:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4257 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2020  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@vonigohcr: I believe your three-coin list is correct regarding the appearance of a previous monarch vs. the reigning monarch on Canada's 36mm SDs. It has become a rather common practice for the RCM to use non-reigning portraits for other denominations (e.g., the recent WWII Battlefront series of $20 coins which feature Paget's KGVI portrait/effigy rather than QEII). I believe the RCM will continue the trend.

An interesting mini-group of related SDs are those that portray a non-current portrait of QEII. You'll find examples on the:

- 2003: Coronation SD (from Special Edition proof set; the Mary Gillick portrait of 1953-1964 vs. Susanna Blunt's portrait of 2003-present)
- 2013: Korean Armistice Anniversary SD (the Mary Gillick portrait of 1953-1964) vs. Susanna Blunt's portrait of 2003-present)
- 2017: 1967 Centennial Commemorative SD (from Centennial Commemorative proof set; the Arnold Machin portrait of 1965-1989 vs. Susanna Blunt's portrait of 2003-present)

There may be others, but those three come immediately to mind.

Pillar of the Community
United States
786 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2020  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I broke down today and bought the 2020 Victory dollar as well as (the very first time for me) the 2020 silver proof set with the embossed "V".
I also added the uncirculated set to my order.
I had never bought the silver proof set directly from the mint before due to the pricing, but I just couldn't resist this year. I'm also really looking forward to the silver dollar in the SE Set coming out in May (May 8th?). I like the looks of that one even more than the ones I acquired today.
Edited by atticguy
01/09/2020 3:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4257 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@atticguy: I think you'll like the VE coin/set - at least I hope you will!

The set has all one-year type coins for each denomination - it may attract attention from those that don't usually buy the proof set.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
6584 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The set has all one-year type coins for each denomination - it may attract attention from those that don't usually buy the proof set.

Commems, could you please bit explain this?
Do you speak about current (Jan set) or futured May set?
and one-year type coins: from $2 to 1c of 2020 or proof restrike / real circulation from 1945?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4257 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Silveroid: What I was referring to are the coins in the 2020 silver set other than the commemorative SD.

The silver versions of the circulating coins in most of the annual fine silver proof sets are the same from year to year (except for the date) and match the design of the circulating coins. This year, however, the coins are different. They feature the effigy of King George VI vs. Queen Elizabeth II on the obverse and they all have a special victory privy mark. These coins are also different from those in the Uncirculated Set being sold by the RCM.
Edited by commems
01/13/2020 2:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6584 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This year, however, the coins are different. They feature the effigy of King George VI vs. Queen Elizabeth II on the obverse and they all have a special victory privy mark. These coins are also different from those in the Uncirculated Set being sold by the RCM.

Thank you, Commems, for detailed info.
Appreciate.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4257 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  05:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The RCM must be anticipating a higher sales volume for the 2020 silver dollar - it raised the maximum mintage by 5,000 coins vs. the 2018 and 2019 SDs.

The 2020 Proof Set mintage maximum remains at 15,000 but the individual proof SD maximum was raised to 25,000 vs. last year's 20,000. The 2019 D-Day SD achieved a sell out on the RCM site, as well as at Gatewest, Canadian C&C, Colonial Acres, J&M, West Edmonton and Albern.

Edited by commems
01/14/2020 05:06 am
Valued Member
Canada
363 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I received the first of my annual coins today:
$100 Gold 14K
$1 SD
Unc Set

Further to a post earlier in this thread, the SD has a KGVI obverse with a Victory Privy mark. The $100 Gold does also. While special editions of the $1SD have either had another monarch or as @commems noted, a historical effigy of QEII this is the first time that the $100 Gold release has been issued with an obverse other than the current circulating effigy.

The Unc Set has standard obverses, no different on initial glance from 2019 except the date ($1 & $2).

On re-reading the RCM website, the Silver Proof Set will also have the Victory Obverse (KGVI and Privy) as part of the "Celebration Collection". I expect this will extend to the base metal proof set due to be released in May.

All in all, this is a significant departure from past practice, separating the proof sets from the Unc set in more than just finish and choice of metal in a highly visible manner.

It will be interesting to see if the Specimen set has any material differences in obverse when it is released later this year.
Pillar of the Community
United States
786 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This year, however, the coins are different. They feature the effigy of King George VI vs. Queen Elizabeth II on the obverse and they all have a special victory privy mark.

Just got my sets in the mail today and want to clarify a couple things. The ONLY coins in the silver proof set that feature King George are the large dollar and the nickel, and the ONLY coin with a privy mark is the large dollar.

Quote:
These coins are also different from those in the Uncirculated Set being sold by the RCM]

The only coin in the silver proof set that is different than those in the uncirculated set (aside from being struck in silver) is the nickel; which has the King George obverse and has 1945-2020 dating on the back instead of just 2020. The dime, quarter, half dollar, loonie, and $2 coins all have the same designs in both sets.

Edited by atticguy
01/22/2020 3:31 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05