Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1996 Quarter Lamination Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 356Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2020  7:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ShineOn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Another from my Dad's hoard.

I know the semicircle on the obv is roll damage or something to that effect - I'm looking at the rev though and see areas that appear to be copper showing through.

The edge of this coin has slot machine type smoothing of the reeding but I can see that the layer toward the rev doesn't show much if any of the nickel layer.

Also, this has a 5 to 10 degree rotation as shown by the orientation of the first rev pic.

I have added more images because I noticed the quality is poor on the rev. image. I also added closer detail images that have arrows pointing to where the copper is showing. Ignore the discolorations - they are not what this is about.

Edited by ShineOn
01/04/2020 11:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
715 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oijogja to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Shine, it might be that the clad layer was too thin to properly cover the core on that side, and this coin ended up incompletely clad. Very hard to tell from the photos though. The eagle does appear to details on the coppery part you're pointing out, however. Have you taken this coin to a dealer to see what they thought?
Pillar of the Community
United States
573 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CherryPicker1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not the copper core, it's just a stain on the coin. The edge is just worn down from circulation.
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShineOn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are stains on the coin, but they aren't copper-colored, they're yellowish. Are you sure? I could try cleaning it with acetone to see what comes off... ?
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 356Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05