Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Some Help Identifying A 1976 Nickel, Looks Like It Is Copper

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 394Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  04:19 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jm428 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey all, I'm new here and hope this is the right place to post this..

I have very little experience with coins, but maybe just a bit more than the next guy throwing his jar into the coinstar. I always keep an eye out for anything that looks off, dates, or if a coin is actual silver...etc..

Anyway, I came across this nickel the other day and can't seem to find much of anything about it through google, or searching the forums here. Hoping I didn't just overlook it and start a thread for nothing..

Well here it is. 1976 Jefferson nickel, no mint mark, same color as a penny. Could just be me, but I think the 976 in the date look a bit thicker than the rest, including the 1. Not sure if that means anything, or if anying else is off at all.

Any opinions/input/advice is much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Hope the pictures are clear enough. If any more are needed let me know!!

Pillar of the Community
United States
4054 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the weight? And all fairness it may be plated or environmental toning or someone painted it.
Edited by Jim0815
01/14/2020 04:54 am
Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  04:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TwistedTrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  05:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jm428 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
5.0g !
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16956 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  05:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly not the first time I have seen a copper nickel coins that looks to be pure copper.

Sometimes (and always depending on the environment), copper nickel coins can tone in this way. Usually the result of direct soil contact, in ground burial.

At a confirmed weight of 5.000 grams, I can assure the OP 100%, that this is a normal, standard Jeff.

Australia' 5 Cents, 10 Cents, 20 Cents and 50 Cents are made of exactly the same alloy.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
6735 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  05:29 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
environmental toning

Could be a metal detector find that someone has cleaned up a bit and put back into circulation. I've spend dozens of British 20p and 50p coins over the years that I've dug up - usually by putting them in vending machines! They have a similar composition to the US 5c and often tone to this sort of color.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  05:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jm428 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the quick replies and information!
Learn More...
United States
86068 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 394Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05