Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interesting Case For A 1922 Specimen Nickel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
794 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  6:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm assuming this is not the original case from the RCM?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1922-CANADA....m1438.l2649
Edited by johnnysprawl
01/19/2020 6:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4695 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely an interesting piece..shame the coin is only SP60. Judging by just the box and what it says, it appears the coin was handed out to a select few and was one of the first 1922s actually struck. I could only find record of one other example, which appears to be in a small museum.i was the lucky winner so I'll let everyone know what Sandy Campbell has to say about it at the CAND show..
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 19 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Valued Member
Canada
457 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent seller and one more reminder that eBay despite its challenges and frustrations is still very much a go-to in the market.
Valued Member
Canada
141 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dollar 1935 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The canadian institute of mining and metallurgy was founded in 1898 so the 24th meeting was probably in 1922, so the box is comtemporary of the coin's strike.

Are all the specimens struck by the RCM were issued in a specific case ?

Edit : congratulation for that new buy theDollarman ! Even if the coin was heavily handled, it still a fascinating object, issued by the RCM or not
Edited by Dollar 1935
01/19/2020 7:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1463 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really cool. I wonder if the specimen 60 grade is due to case wear and handling?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4695 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alan, it's likely due to the original owner wiping the coin
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 19 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
761 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin thedollarman, your really assembling a very nice set of specimen coins.
Here's a couple cropped pictures of just the coin.
I can see why it's SP 60.

Cheers, Bill

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2746 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like steel wool or a toothbrush with gritty powder was used.
Learn More...
Canada
8839 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sean Isaacs (Alliance Coin & Banknote) had one of those, exactly like that, in his auction a couple of years ago. I have seen them a few times, they are indeed specimen strikes, and probably were special order from the mint back in the day. Most I have seen, have been polished - it takes a lot to damage pure nickel, but I suppose if you rub hard enough...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1014 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  04:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A little more info on the coin and history

https://www.bankofcanadamuseum.ca/2...llection-11/

There is another one in a canadian industry museum as well.

Very cool purchase.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05