Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coins Grading And Authentication Help Needed

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Lebanon
147 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  09:36 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,
A seller presented these coins to me .2 silver lebanon 1933 and 1929 50 piastres
can you help me grade them please.

Im a bit worried these coins are quite rare lots of fake available in the market do you think they are authentic ?
Made from silver they are too bright for 90 years coin do you think there are cleaned ?.and if yes how much the lose value?

Valued Member
United States
264 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  09:55 am  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
they look suspect to me. Denticles are very weak. Weigh them on an accurate scale. They are supposed to weigh 10 g.

They are faking everything now - I just got burned with a fake Mexico common "silver" coin. It is not silver and weighs much less than a real one. Looks kinda the same color as yours.
Valued Member
Lebanon
147 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
he said they are silver and ready to return them if not authentic
Edited by chronos
01/23/2020 12:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2949 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1929 appears to have circulation wear. If it is shiny silver it has been cleaned.

Edit: @chronos, I do not know these coins well, but if I compare the photos to examples on NGC catalog, or Numista, I cannot find obvious problems in the design of the coin. The dark spots on both sides of the 1929 are a potential concern. As others have said, getting an accurate weight, and/or something like XRF on the coin would be helpful.

As for condition, the 1929 shows low detail on the cedar tree, but the reverse looks stronger. I am not sure if this is a sign of worn obverse die, or circulation wear (or both), but I would say not better than VF for the 1929.
The 1936 is clearly in better condition. Maybe someone else can estimate the grade.
Edited by tdziemia
01/24/2020 1:45 pm
Valued Member
231 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  04:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thecollectible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These coin will put in the slab holders
Valued Member
Lebanon
147 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  05:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have doubt about authenticity , the privy mark next to REPUBLIQUE look a bit different then normal in the first one , what do you think ?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1405 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think the 1929 had a privy mark. Do you know the weight?
Valued Member
Lebanon
147 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2020  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No he didn't give me the weight , the right privy mark in the 1933s coin looks weird to me
yes in 1929 there is no privy mark.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05