Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit 1922 Cent!

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
43 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  08:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Pretty convincing, except that there is a pimple near the left base of first two, and the edge is sharp and prooflike

Edited by whatdowehavehere
01/26/2020 08:08 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1600 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  08:38 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i dont think so
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3178 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  08:41 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a very nice coin ! Get it certified !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2721 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  09:14 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not seeing any flags.

If nickelsguy says it's ok. You can take that to the bank, so to speak..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1463 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's counterfeit it's a good one. If it's real it's a high grade one.

What concerns me is that it looks like the obverse side has a dish effect going into the edge while it should be completely flat. The later geroge V pennies in this series were struck with a different obverse die that was concave to stop the coins sticking to the dies, take a look, you'll see
Edited by Alan
01/26/2020 09:29 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2269 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If that's a counterfeit, then I'm packing it in because my sense tells me it's 100% genuine.

I'd buy that coin all day long.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44902 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure looks good to me.
Canada
43 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
THAT is why it's so scary... the edge is completely wrong: square with almost a knife-edge, sharp and pl-shiny. BTW: it's from China by way of Japan. The pimple in the die is usually enough to tell me NG, but that is easily overlooked. I'm guessing spark-erosion, but in this case I don't know
01/26/2020 11:21 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1600 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  11:23 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where are you getting your information?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1441 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm no expert on fake's but it looks pretty good to me I'd buy it
Canada
43 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been buying R&B KGV small pennies for a while now; have a couple nice Red 1920's, as well as a very nice R&B 1921. None have this edge. The collar hadn't changed, nor had the definitions of the Upsetting mill changed? Am I correct in that assessment? The coin is VERY clean; usually I see a build-up of sorts of accumulated detritus in the devices (what my ex- likes to call "Gungarunga"). Nothing like that here. The luster is subdued. I'd like to sacrifice it to the Solvent Gods to see exactly what kind luster there is, but I haven't done that
01/26/2020 11:38 am
Valued Member
United States
264 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  11:37 am  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I looks die struck to me. Hard to believe they would go to all that trouble for a less expensive coin. I think I have a similar 1922 with the dished out obverse. Will check next time at bank.

Here is a fake I own. Not nearly as sharp a George V portrait.

To answer whatdowehavehere I have added a rim shot (har!). Not very well defined edges

Edited by John K
01/27/2020 11:35 am
Canada
43 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John, how is the edge represented on your 1930 Aussi penny?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1600 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  11:42 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obv die is very slightly misaligned.....other than that it looks NORMAL. As for the pimple, that is a great (pressure) spot for a die chip.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1600 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  11:45 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
chinese fake
Canada
43 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, OK... I'll send it in with a batch of similar material. If it passes Inspection, I'll buy all of you guys lunch, or something
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05