Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

February 2020 RCM Release

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 5,514Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
Canada
369 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  8:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just received notification from the RCM on the February release:

New Subscription - Coins of Alex Coleville commemorating the 100th anniverary of his birth. 6 coin set, each 1/10 oz of 99.99% Gold
Coin 1 - Goose Dollar $364.95 Mintage: 1,200
Tree of Life Pysanka -$250 Face, 58.5g 99.99 Gold - $5,699.95 Mintage: 200
1oz Silver Pysanka - $20 Face, $129.95 Mintage 5,000
5oz Maple leaves in motion - Rhodium & Gold plated Silver $50 Face, $579.95 Mintage 1,000
1kg Gold Arms of the Dominion of Canada $2,500 Face - $83,900 Mintage 25
1oz Silver Timeless Icons: Polar Bear - $25 Face, $114.95 Mintage 4,000
1oz Silver Black History Month: Willie O'Ree $20 Face, $99.95 Mintage 5,500
6-Coin Specimen Set (Loon $ is Black Footed Ferret) $51.95 Mintage 25,000
Collector Education Set: 5 Caribou Quarters each with a different finish - BU, Proof, Matte Proof, Reverse Proof & Specimen - $29.95 Mintage 15,000
1/2oz Silver - 6 coin subscription set - Oh Canada 49.95/coin Mintage 10,000 Includes case.

Previous Subscriptions:
1oz Silver Second World War Battlefront: Liberation of Netherlands 9th Coin in series - $94.95 Mintage 7,500
1/4 Oz Silver Birthstone (Swarovski) March - $54.95 - Mintage 5,000

Notable:
- The specimen set has moved from birds on the Loon Dollar.

Canada
49 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jazzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I'm not mistaken the sum of mintages for these products is less than 80,000 items. With half of them being the two sets (Specimen / Caribou Collector Set). Leaves not many coins to be produced this month. I noticed the Polar Bear piedfort coin has mintage of 4,000 as opposed to last year's 7,000. I wonder how much further this trend will continue...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4501 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At last years Toronto MC gathering one pf the RCM rep asked me how low the mintage for regular 1oz. coins should be, I replied 2000 and let the collectors fight for each issue, he thought this # was interesting but didn't happen. Going in right direction though.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4407 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The silver Pysanka coin could be a bellwether for the current state of things for the RCM's NCLT. The silver Pysanka sold out the past two years with the same mintage and at the same price point. If it doesn't sell out this year, things are most definitely off!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
821 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to ad the 1/10th ounce gold dollars to my dollar set(s), but paying 2.3x over spot is just too much for my budget. If the set ever gets under $200/coin I might get in the hunt in the future.
Naturally I'll buy the specimen set (I was wondering when they'd run out of birds).
I'll also buy the 5-quarters set to add to my quarter collection. I'm down to needing just 42 quarters (all types: circulated, proof, specimen, commemorative, mules, etc.) to have EVERY Canadian quarter ever made.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2697 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lower mintages reflect lower demand for RCM NCLT. There is no sense in making high quantities when you are going to end up with unsold inventory.

As for the Pysanka, you could see a picture of it on the other forum or on eBay. It has brighter colours compared to last year's coin.
Valued Member
Canada
369 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@atticguy

I am not sure that the multiplier of 2.3x is accurate. If you buy 1/10 oz maples, you will inevitably pay a premium for the smaller form factor. Based on a local bullion dealer, a 1/10 maple is $238.16 CAD. with that said, the price for this coin is 1.5x bullion and well within a reasonable markup for a proof coin. Even if you use the full ounce maple as the baseline $2,139 CAD you are only at 1.7x bullion.

While the actual numbers are quite a bit higher for gold, the premium multiple over bullion is much smaller allowing a circumstance where a modest appreciation in the price of gold will allow you to recover your purchase price should you ever want to do so. In fact all of the $100 Gold coins released prior to 2009 are in the black if re-sold at bullion prices. Silver on the other hand... with today's silver maple price at $27.14 CAD, the range for the coins above is 3.5x to 4.5x (the 1/4 oz is 8x) bullion. I don't see silver at $100CAD per ounce anytime soon.
Pillar of the Community
United States
821 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
vonigohcr: Yes, I was wrong. I made a mistake by using the $365 Canadian cost AND the $1583/ounce USA value of gold. I re-did my math, and the markup I got was now down to 1.75x over spot.
I don't understand though why smaller coins (1/10th ounce) should be higher per coin than larger (1oz) coins. Does this mean that a 10-ounce gold bar is cheaper than ten 1-ounce bars? I've always thought a half ounce of gold is half the price of a full ounce. I am confused with this. (sorry!)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4501 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In bullion the larger the bar, less mark up
Pillar of the Community
Canada
589 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a 1/2oz silver 34mm coin in the "maple leaf" series this year? I believe it is usually released in February?
Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mooincow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi
5oz Maple leaves in motion - Rhodium & Gold plated Silver $50 Face, $579.95 Mintage 1,000

I got a 90% sold out email at 630am pst
now it is sold out on the website

Valued Member
Canada
369 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@AlexA

Quote:
Is there a 1/2oz silver 34mm coin in the "maple leaf" series this year? I believe it is usually released in February?

Not in this notification...

@mooincow

Quote:
5oz Maple leaves in motion - Rhodium & Gold plated Silver... now it is sold out on the website

Wow... unexpected, I guess folks really like the black and gold.
Canada
49 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jazzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have noticed over the past few years that it is usually the high-end, more expensive issues that tend to sell out without issues. Usually the smaller (2 oz silver or less) have a hard time selling the entire mintage in most cases. I guess this speaks for the mint's clientele, having hard time bringing in or keeping new collectors that have less money to spend on coins.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
630 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Electrum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
5 oz gold black combo color coin must have been gobbled up by dealers if already sold out.
Will be popular as the gold maple leaf will really pop out with that black background.
Valued Member
Canada
369 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the high-end, more expensive issues that tend to sell out without issues

Agree they usually sell a 1kg gold for 70K+ (this year it is $84K) with a mintage of 25 and they always seem to sell out. Personally, I don't know anyone with $84K with no better place to put it... It isn't for investment as you can buy a 1kg bar for $68K... the NCLT premium will stop an investment purchase or a jeweler/raw material purchase... I also never see these at auction so I am presuming that the resale market is either not needed or completely opaque to those of us of more modest means.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2697 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have noticed over the past few years that it is usually the high-end, more expensive issues that tend to sell out without issues. Usually the smaller (2 oz silver or less) have a hard time selling the entire mintage in most cases. I guess this speaks for the mint's clientele, having hard time bringing in or keeping new collectors that have less money to spend on coins.

It speaks more to the lower mintage of 5oz and above coins than to new collectors who can't afford coins. The mintage of 5 oz coins are usually in the range of 1000 to 1500, 1/2 Kilo less than 1000, and 1 Kilo less than 500.

Obviously it is easily to sell 500 coins than 5000 coins.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 5,514Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05