Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

February 2020 RCM Release

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
Canada
441 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks vonigohcr for your input.

I would of purchased one if I had the opportunity. Even though it is way over priced. I guess the coin is worth what people will pay for it. For Toonie collectors, they must be disappointed.
"If you lose it here, you're in a world of hurt"
Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mooincow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jimper My rep emailed me last night but only had a few assigned to him. by the time I responded, it was too late.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2688 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  01:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did not get any notice from my rep. I guess I did not buy enough coins from him.

Even though the coin was expensive, I think a lot of people would have bought it because of the extreme low mintage. I never seen a silver coin with so low a mintage. Even Kilo silver coins that sell for over $2000 have mintages of 400 or 500. The price ratio between mintage vs cost is astounding. In other words, you are getting a rarer coin at a lower price than is expected.

Odd, though, is the number of coins issue - 279. Why not a even 250 or 300? Did the mold broke for the coin and they could not make any more?
Valued Member
Canada
369 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got an email from my rep @ 9PM (Pacific time) and read it on my phone. I wasn't about to jump given the price and the fact it is yet another numismatic gimmick.

I was surprised when it was sold out when I checked the next morning but not disappointed. I am not a speculator or flipper and this "coin" doesn't fit with my collection's direction.

I am not sure that this will fare well in 5-10 years... like most RCM silver. With the exception of continuing series (e.g. the 36mm SD) I am moving away from most silver issued by the RCM as it almost never appreciates and the pricing is such that the bullion price of silver will almost never catch up. Gold on the other hand... most gold released prior to 2008 was issued below current bullion so that is a win even if liquidating a collection. Current gold releases have lower multiples over bullion than silver so your exposure to loss is less.
Canada
19 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jam3z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Even though the coin was expensive, I think a lot of people would have bought it because of the extreme low mintage. I never seen a silver coin with so low a mintage. Even Kilo silver coins that sell for over $2000 have mintages of 400 or 500. The price ratio between mintage vs cost is astounding. In other words, you are getting a rarer coin at a lower price than is expected.

Even half kilos are getting into mintages of 400.

I recently picked up this 2019 $125 PRIMAL PREDATORS: GRIZZLY

400 Mintage.
1/2 kilo.

I have the 2017 In the eyes of the timber wolf 1 Kilo coin done by Pierre Leduc also with a mintage of 400. This coin currently has two listings on eBay.ca for over the issue price of 2299.99 at the time of this post.

Edited by Jam3z
02/17/2020 9:53 pm
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zgirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is very cool
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4301 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Jam3z: Did you buy the piece because you like/collect wildlife coins? Like/collect very large silver coins? Like Leduc's artistic style?

Thanks for sharing!
Canada
19 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jam3z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@Jam3z: Did you buy the piece because you like/collect wildlife coins? Like/collect very large silver coins? Like Leduc's artistic style?

I do like wildlife coins and do enjoy a larger format no matter the topic. Leduc's execution seems to be well done but I don't approve of everything he produces. I also got it because I was able to get it under mint issue price.

I compare this coin to ROARING GRIZZLY BEAR - 2016 $125 1/2Kg (600 mintage) Also by Leduc. That coin was issued at 1099.99 where as the primal predator grizzly is issued at 1199.99.

So possibly the extra $100 is from lower mintage?
I'm not to sure but the 3D effect from the coin is definitely a step in the right direction and has more appeal to a wider audience then the 2016 bear coin in my opinion.

Cheers.
Valued Member
Canada
441 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  09:17 am  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picked up these two coins to continue the series:

EXCLUSIVE Masters Club 2 oz. Pure Silver Half-Dollar - 100th Anniversary of the Birth of Alex Colville - Mintage: 2,500 (2020)

and

1 oz. Pure Silver Coin - Bejeweled Bugs: Ladybug (Low Certificate of Authenticity Number) - Mintage: 3,000 (2020)
Edited by jimper
02/18/2020 09:17 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6600 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for update, Jimper

This one will be true beauty in the large 2oz format

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE Masters Club 2 oz. Pure Silver Half-Dollar - 100th Anniversary of the Birth of Alex Colville - Mintage: 2,500 (2020)

Just don't remember...didn't we have this series in 5oz already?

What was the issue price btw? Looks like I prepared to load them from eBay, before price jumps to 500+
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6600 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I compare this coin to ROARING GRIZZLY BEAR - 2016 $125 1/2Kg (600 mintage) Also by Leduc. That coin was issued at 1099.99

The "Call of the Wild" , I think..

Fantastic series and piece of art, imo.
Canada
19 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jam3z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

The "Call of the Wild" , I think..

Fantastic series and piece of art, imo

Correct, call of the wild series. Definitely a good set to own.
Valued Member
Canada
441 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Silveroid

Quote:
Just don't remember...didn't we have this series in 5oz already?

Yes, you remember correctly.

Quote:
5 oz. Pure Silver Coin - Big Coin Series: Alex Colville Designs: 50-Cent Howling Wolf - Mintage: 2,150 (2017)

Issue price for the:
EXCLUSIVE Masters Club 2 oz. Pure Silver Half-Dollar - 100th Anniversary of the Birth of Alex Colville - Mintage: 2,500 (2020) is set at $199.95 CAD
Edited by jimper
02/18/2020 12:28 pm
Valued Member
Canada
242 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rjlavoie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
About the EXCLUSIVE Masters Club 2 oz. Pure Silver Half-Dollar - 100th Anniversary of the Birth of Alex Colville

I think more RCM MC may have access this time. In my email from my rep, it stated,
"For the first time ever, the Masters Club Half-Dollar coin is truly exclusive to Masters Club customers. Unlike previous coins, dealers won't have access to any of these coins. This coin only made available to Platinum Plus and Platinum Prestige customers first."
Limit of 1 per person. Ships Mar-11-2020
Edited by rjlavoie
02/18/2020 12:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2688 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unlike previous coins, dealers won't have access to any of these coins.

That explains why Canadian Coin & Currency no longer offer MC exclusives to VIP customers. CC&C did not have the last Renewed Silver Dollar nor this new 50 cents coin.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05