Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Member Here, Looking For Advice On Fake Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2020  1:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add voyager to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am keen to buy some roman coins, mayabe greek, are there a lot of fakes around? I obviously don't want fakes.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32688 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2020  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2020  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add voyager to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cheers.
Is there a lot of fakes on ebay? Any sellers to look out for>?
Pillar of the Community
United States
587 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2020  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Groszy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are tons of fakes on eBay. Most sellers, and I'm being generous here, probably don't know they're fakes.

But there are plenty that are knowingly selling fakes.

Avoid sellers from China...until you know what you're looking for, and are prepared to deal with it if you're sold fakes.
Learn More...
United States
84130 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2020  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Learn More...
United States
22895 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2020  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

If you check out the section here titled Books, downloads, and websites there is a lot of information that will help you spot fake from genuine coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4805 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2020  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, Voyager. You may have seen a post on the board here today called "Introduction To Roman Coins Of The First Tetrarchy: Diocletian, Etc." The member who posted that has one of the best sites for learning about ancient coins. It provides tons of helpful info. I recommend you spend some time there.

The "front page" is http://augustuscoins.com/

Some of the internal pages you may find particularly useful are:

Ancient Roman and Greek Coins, FAQ
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/numis/
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/numis/intro2.html
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/numis/intro3.html

Buying Ancient Coins
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/numis/buying.html

How to avoid buying fake ancient coins
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/numis/fakes.html

eBay fakesellers of ancient coins
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/fakesellers.html

Edited by Bob L
02/07/2020 11:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1216 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2020  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1256 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2020  05:16 am  Show Profile   Check MetDet71's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Not all sellers on eBay sell fakes, there are some bargains to be had. If your unsure, take a screenshot and post the coin on this forum. I am pretty sure someone here will tell you if its ok or not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3122 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2020  09:38 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No .... not all eBay sellers are peddling fakes
Some major sellers use and have used eBay as a venue
But fakes are to be found everywhere and even the best can be fooled
It seems like every decade or so some major museum somewhere quietly removes a masterpiece from the wall and sends it downstairs to the basement

Rules for beginners

Start small
Don't dive in the deep end !

Thirty years ago you could be fairly safe from 'sharks' by buying inexpensive bronze coins like Constantines or the above mentioned tetrarchy issues
Not anymore !
Technology has allowed people to produce some impressive budget priced fakes

Find a few reliable sellers and exercise patience
The stream of coins is like a flowing river
Something will come by that interests you and more than likely another similar one will too
Impulse purchases rarely work for the beginner

Lastly
Beware of Facebook !
I had a 'newbie' invite me onto a few of these sites
It didn't take very long for me to get tossed for posting google pics of identical silver tetradrachms and Caesar denari that these people were selling at "bargain" prices
Usually they claimed they dug them up just yesterday and almost always posted the dirty hand holding the gem silver coin
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
599 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2020  11:28 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Voyager;

Assuming you are not buying to sell, it is better if you would be so kind and let us know what historical period you are interested in. People who collect ancient coins mostly are quite the history buffs. So you started by mentioning Roman and then "maybe" Greek. What period of Rome are you most interested in? There are dealers who specialize in very specific time periods and you can often get a full family collection going of wives and sons etc as these dealers have coins they keep and duplicates they sell that are not their best examples but still very attractive.
Pillar of the Community
United States
630 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2020  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When starting the hobby, read and then read some more. Do a search "Fakes" on this forum and other forums and read through the threads. Still, only buy from trusted dealers and sellers on eBay until you know what to look for. I've been collecting for about 4years or so and still get fooled now and again.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1256 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2020  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Check MetDet71's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Beware of Facebook !

Not half!
The amount of stuff that you get offered from 'sharks' on facebook is ridiculous.
As FVRIVS RVFVS says, Don't dive in the deep end.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05