Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

PCGS PR 55 1804 Draped Bust Dollar Stars In Baltimore's D. Brent Pogue Coin Auction

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  4:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
PCGS - Santa ANA, CA - A rare 1804 Draped Bust Dollar, the most famous prize in coin collecting, will be sold in Baltimore on March 20 at an auction conducted by Stack's Bowers Galleries of Santa ANA, California. One of just 15 known to exist, the auction house expects the coin, graded PR55 by Professional Coin Grading Service ( PCGS), to bring between $1.2 and $1.5 million. When it was auctioned on behalf of Johns Hopkins University in 1980, it became the most valuable silver coin in the world. It was acquired by JHU by bequest from the Garrett Family, who first bought the coin in 1883.

Though dated 1804, the Garrett specimen of this renowned rarity was struck in secret at the Philadelphia Mint sometime between the 1850s and early 1870s, as coin collectors realized how rare 1804-dated silver dollars were and the U.S. Mint sought to cash in. The original 1804 Draped Bust Dollars were struck in 1834, intended as diplomatic gifts to Asian monarchs, produced as part of special presentation sets of American coins. Due to a misunderstanding of mint records, which indicated that the last silver dollars were struck in 1804, American government officials produced new silver dollars with the 1804 date. The last silver dollars before 1834 were coined in 1804 but bore the date 1803.

Read the entire article.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2052 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I'll hold out for a nicer one.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Learn More...
United States
84320 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2199 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been looking for a pocket piece but maybe it's too heavy.

Beautiful coin!
Member ANA and EAC

"You got to lose to know how to win".
Dream On by Aerosmith
Edited by cipster
02/27/2020 3:11 pm
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silverado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Pogue auctions are always a pleasure to watch! What a collection !!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3522 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2020  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, I think Ill bid on this baby. 29.95.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05