Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

German Kiau Chau 5 Cent AU53

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  11:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tsingtau_99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I bought this coin in China two years ago. It is graded AU53 in NGC holder. While I am studying in Canada, a local dealer expressed suspicion over the coin. Although he is not familiar with the type, he has a lot of experience. His concern is about the die and toning. He thought the upper part of the obverse (Chinese characters) is not minted well, with suspicious toning.

To my knowledge, there are many high level counterfeits of this type produced in the past 15 years, which make collectors extra cautious. A study reveals the Kiau Chau coin was made for 4 times from 1909 to 1913, but use the same year (maybe same dies) to save cost. Most of the minting orders were urgent which explain the die cracks on some coins. I found the high-grade examples on PCGS also have die cracks.
For toning, I don't have an established opinion. All I know is that this type of coin has a shamrock-ish rust under moisture.

The pictures are from the seller and NGC website. Please share your opinions!

Edited by Tsingtau_99
02/13/2020 11:33 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32045 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  04:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. First thing I would do is check the NGC slab number to see if it is genuine.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tsingtau_99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John! The third and the fourth pictures come from the NGC website. The slab is real.

Today I counseled with another dealer. He thinks the coin looks real and the slab is real, but the subtle horizontal lines on the planchet seem weird. The NGC picture shows it, especially on the eagle side. Is this a minting feature or the coin was polished?
Learn More...
United States
82620 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19107 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin looks like it has had an old cleaning. Seems like it should have had a "details" grade.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05