Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help In Identification France Denier ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  10:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hameris to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Help in identification France Denier ?
Weight : 1.49 g.
Diameter : 17.5 mm

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Edited by hameris
02/16/2020 10:12 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32583 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Give it a bit and members will help you.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3124 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like Louis the Pious, Narbonne mint.

I cannot comment on authenticity, but I would expect the inverted A is a known type.
Edited by tdziemia
02/16/2020 1:35 pm
Valued Member
Sweden
214 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Louis the Pious (also known as Louis I), son of Charlemagne/Charles the Great. It is a denier, minted in Narbonne 819-22. Inscription on obverse is HLVDOVVICVS IMP (Louis, emperor), on reverse [N]AR/BONA.

However, I am not sure this one is genuine...

The weight is ok, but the problem is the letters. They do not look like the letters on other coins from this Narbonne issue. The B, O (in Narbona), M and D have the wrong shape, the mid stroke in N is too thick. (The upside down A is unusual but not unique - some form of engraver's mark?) This could all be by chance and the product of a different engraver, but the letters are atypical for Carolingian coins from this period.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3124 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad you saw it and could comment

An obol is known with the inverted A: https://www.cgbfr.com/louis-ier-le-...33965,a.html
Perhaps the forger was copying this.

Edited by tdziemia
02/16/2020 1:51 pm
United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hameris to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for your help
United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hameris to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin is definitely forgery. Thank you for help!
Learn More...
United States
22887 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community
Valued Member
Sweden
214 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Perhaps the forger was copying this.

Could be, to make it more interesting, perhaps. But he didn't get the other letters right... And now that I look again, I see that the mid strokes of the A's and the H are also thicker than they should be.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3124 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also the shape of the B is different from all other examples I could find. The horizontal strokes in the B should be truly horizontal as in an E.

It seems there are a lot of Carolingian forgeries floating around from these two recent threads on them.
Valued Member
Netherlands
446 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archeo1982 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coulour doesn't look like genuine denari I know of. If it was presented to me I would keep my hands of of it. A genuine copy.
Learn More...
United States
83885 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05