Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Trying To Finish The Classic Commemorative Series

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
531 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  4:56 pm Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I had always wanted to try and complete the standard 144-coin set of U.S. Classic Commemorative coins, but I had hesitated buying the more common pieces until I found a 1928 Hawaiian that I liked (I wanted to get the key before I started looking for the others). I finally found an NGC-graded MS60 that I liked on July 20, 2003. After that initial purchase, I concentrated on seeking straight-graded uncirculated coins in NGC slabs.

Earlier this month, I purchased the above 1933-D Oregon, which means that I now only need three more coins to complete the 144-coin set. Considering I finished the 50-coin type set years ago, can any of you veteran collectors guess what the last three pieces are that I need? When I began collecting these coins, I never would have guessed that these three pieces would be the last ones I'd need.

These three coins are out there in dealer inventories right now, but I believe they're all overpriced, so I am waiting patiently for a price adjustment or a fresh coin to come onto the market.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7756 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm guessing the three larger Panama-Pacific gold coins, $2.50, $50 octagonal, and $50 round.

BTW, I don't have any of those three either (nor the 1928 Hawaii)
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Check CalzoneManiac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Isabella quarter, $50 octagonal, $50 round
Currently interested in buying 1957 and earlier Russian and Soviet coins. Let me know if you have any and we can hook up a deal!
Pillar of the Community
United States
531 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I should've specified the 144-coin set of silver U.S. Classic Commemorative coins.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46142 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say Hawaii, Lafayette and Grant Star.
Pillar of the Community
United States
714 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does that 144 include the Lafayette dollar and Isabella quarter?
(I'm too lazy to look it up.)
Edited by joecoin
02/26/2020 6:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2062 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Check bandsdean's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've found that the 1933-D Oregon was the hardest one to find of all the Oregon Trails. Yours is a beauty!
Pillar of the Community
United States
531 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  12:10 am  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've found that the 1933-D Oregon was the hardest one to find of all the Oregon Trails. Yours is a beauty!

Bandsdean, did you have any trouble with Oregons other than the 33-D?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6098 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure with time you will find your three to finish your set. I have been adding pieces to my album for over 40 years and am down to the Hawwian for a type set.
Pillar of the Community
United States
531 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To follow up on my original post, after collecting 141 of the 144 silver classic U.S. Commemoratives, I now only need the following three to complete the standard set:

1939, 1939-D and 1939-S Oregon Trails.

Each of these coins have a mintage of just over 3,000.

In his book "Certified Commemoratives," author Harry Laibstain writes "The 1939 Oregons have the lowest mintage in the Oregon series. Because of this and the overall popularity of Oregon Trails, low-grade specimens are worth almost as much as some higher grades." Mr. Laibstain also notes that the 1939 Oregon coins "may be the most hoarded of all commemoratives."

Consequently, anyone trying to complete this 144-coin set should be aware that there are hidden challenges within the series beyond the recognized key coins.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46142 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I missed that!
Learn More...
United States
84130 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Earlier this month, I purchased the above 1933-D Oregon, which means that I now only need three more coins to complete the 144-coin set.
Excellent!

Quote:
To follow up on my original post, after collecting 141 of the 144 silver classic U.S. Commemoratives, I now only need the following three to complete the standard set:

1939, 1939-D and 1939-S Oregon Trails.
Good luck.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4535 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done.
I am currently at 124 with 14 of them below MS-63.
Right now it's a "back burner" set so I don't expect those numbers to change anytime soon.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
531 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2020  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One 1939 Oregon down, two more to go...

The goal was to find the 1939-P, 1939-D & 1939-S coins under $500, so when I saw an MS-64 listed for auction by Heritage, I thought I'd throw in a bid that wouldn't exceed my budget. Those of you who have won coins through Heritage Auctions already know what a challenge it can be trying to determine what your final cost will be. But for anyone considering Heritage Auctions for the first time, here is what you can expect:

My bid: 340.00
Twenty Percent Buyer Premium: 68.00
Service & Handling: 18.76
Seven Percent Sales Tax: 29.87

Final cost: 456.63*

* Plus, if I had wanted to pay by credit card, a two-percent fee would have been added.

Learn More...
United States
84130 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One 1939 Oregon down, two more to go...
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
United States
930 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice one Captainrich! You're almost done.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05