Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1881 Indian Head Penny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 505Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  3:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KimmiKimmi1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
IV had this indian head for some time. I looks silly, not right. Is it just age, or could it be an error. Thank you.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1995 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

It looks like environmental damage. Something has etched into the surface of the coin.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47880 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or possibly coated with some foreign substance that is now wearing off?

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
03/28/2020 3:46 pm
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KimmiKimmi1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I would have never guessed any of that. Thanks for the welcome, and your help.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13399 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All I see are animals on the obverse . Very weird .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1950 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gold leaf pealing?
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KimmiKimmi1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tons of really neat and informative stuff on this site. take a lifetime to get to everything. Animals, gold leaf, I'm at a lose on this darn coin. Should I send it in somewhere to have it looked at? And if so, where?
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KimmiKimmi1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the tails side, left of the shield and against the edge might be part of a star(in black). Also, looks like a big 5 between and sorta in the C and A of America. Its just to much to take in, and truthfully, I don't even know what to look for. Be easier to just spend it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13399 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't spend it , it's still an IHC . Try giving it a long soak in Acetone , see if any of that stuff comes off .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Learn More...
United States
86189 Posts
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vindex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just guessing, it does not have texture? It is more like it is etched on the coin? I have seen this on other copper cents. It is oxidation. I would not soak it in acetone. The acetone is not for removing oxidation. Think of oxidation as patina. Only way to remove this would be a cleaning agent that removes oxidation and that would ruin the value of your coin.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  02:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KimmiKimmi1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Vindex, thanks for the welcome. Also, appreciate your time in providing the help.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 505Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05