Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1973 LMC With Odd Tone

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 953Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
115 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  5:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thought it had almost a satin finish at first glance but looking closer I can't really tell if this was caused by intentional means or environment.
Thoughts? I took three with flash and three without flash to try and get a better idea of what I'm seeing. Did not weigh coin yet just set aside and was going to get opinions before I waste my time.
Thanks!

Edited by Hermz
03/29/2020 01:38 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5049 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hermz,

Out of the above pictures, which would you say is the closest to the true color of your coin?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47948 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The colors are so different in these pics that I'm not getting a clear sense of what it actually looks like.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13412 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impossible to determine anything with that coin .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's just it, it's hard to tell because the pictures show differently then what I see.

Chase : Closest tone would be without the flash (last 3 photos.) , but it's shows dull on my pictures so took the few with flash to show it did have some luster.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5049 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hermz,

Thanks for that,but those last Three images are completely different from one another, hold your coin against each of the last pictures on this page and tell us which pic. has the closest true color to your coin ( regardless of how you took your pictures)
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  01:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose you have a point, I can't get a consistent photo with this one.
So based off of my previous photos already posted, I'd say look at the straight on no flash picture(4th) then.
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  01:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok took out unnecessary photos, I know reverse still looks different but I can't stay up any longer to get the coin back out and take more photos hah

So focus on the tone of the first picture and I'll post a compare photo next to other LMC tomorrow.

Sorry again, this one doesn't like my camera ha
Pillar of the Community
United States
5049 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hermz,

Thanks for new comment, that was pretty much what I was aiming at all along: to get close to what the true color could be on your coin because I have been wondering all along if this could possibly be a Brass plated Cent, after I first saw your pics and noticed the one before last image from the obverse.

Here is a statement by one member posted last year:

Quote:
95% copper 5% zinc is a brass not a bronze. And they are supposed to be plated with pure copper. And when the plating solution is fresh they are. But with every batch of planchets plated the solution becomes more and more contaminated with zinc and the plating becomes a brass plating. The longer the solution is used before it is changed the higher the zinc content in the plating becomes. So other than the first batch of planchets in a fresh solution ALL Zinc Lincolns have a brass plating. The only question is how much zinc is in the brass. Sometimes they don't get the solution changed before the planchets start taking on a decided yellow color.

http://goccf.com/t/328909
Hope this helps.
Edited by Chase007
03/29/2020 10:44 am
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That would make sense as if does seem to be a brass/yellow tone.

Anyway, for the sake of comparing I took more photos, couldn't find a nice 73 to compare it with but found a 72.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47948 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guessing it was plated. Can you give us the weight?
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah yes,

Weight- 3.0 gram
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vindex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is possible that it is a foreign planchet. Over the years, there have been over 40 countries coins minted at US Mints. The majority in Philadelphia. Since 1973 1C should be 95% copper and 5% zinc, a different mixture would indicate a foreign planchet. The weight may not help too much as many of the brass alloy planchets were of similar weight. But you do need the weight. It is easy to get a digital gram scale that measures to the hundredths of a gram for less than $10.
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would need to look into that I suppose.

Any suggestions on brand?

But, based on what I can provide now. Is this a coin of interest or is this leaning on the side of something like a cleaning gone wrong or other type of damage.. etc..
I know without an exact weight you said it isn't likely to help determine if it's brass, but in your opinion. I see also though that a link previously posted on the info for brass planchet doesn't have this year on it.
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just want to try and think of other possibilities before I lean into it being an error.
Thanks for that info vindex, I never really considered the us mint would make coins for non us currency.
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's isn't magnetic.
From what I've been looking into..
Brass plated = magnetic
Brass = non-magnetic

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 953Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05