Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 20 Pence - Off Metal Strike (Oms)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 798Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  06:18 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Director to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello folks:

I came across a 20 pence in copper (probably) as opposed to the usual copper-nickel. If anyone knows the story behind this and an approx value, I would highly appreciate it.

Are these common? Are these rare? Are these real/fake? Couldn't find much online.

Please fire away!

Thank you, kindly.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
375 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  06:45 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More often than not these off-colour modern decimal GB coins turn out to be tarnished by natural conditions rather than actually off metal. I have seen many 5ps, 10ps and 20ps that "look" copper or bronze, but with a little careful cleaning turn out to be white metal (cupro-nickel) underneath. With this example I can see quite white metal in some of the detail, particularly on the reverse, so I suspect the same is true here.
The tarnish is difficult to shift, so maybe a careful scratch on the rim will reveal the underlying metal?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
33634 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a weight difference?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16999 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is really copper nickel, and not (bronze?), it should weigh exactly the same as a standard 20P, within 100th of a gramme.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
6811 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  08:33 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Director - I've found dozens of these with my metal detector and they always go this color after being buried for a while. I get so fed up trying to clean them that I usually spend them in vending machines!
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Director to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
NumisRob

Director - I've found dozens of these with my metal detector and they always go this color after being buried for a while. I get so fed up trying to clean them that I usually spend them in vending machines!

@NumisRob, would you by any chance have a few pics to share?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
6811 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

@NumisRob, would you by any chance have a few pics to share?

I don't have any detected 20p coins at the moment - have spent them all - but here is a selection of detected cupro-nickel 5p and 10p coins, and normal circulated ones for comparison:

An old-size 10p I dug up, together with one from normal circulation:

In my experience all cupro-nickel or cupro-nickel clad coins take on this appearance after being buried for any length of time.
Edited by NumisRob
04/03/2020 12:19 pm
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Director to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great, can you please post the other side of the 10p that has a edge bump; the middle coin?

Thank you.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
6811 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Great, can you please post the other side of the 10p that has a edge bump; the middle coin?

Had to take this under artificial light as the sun's gone down since I took the other photo, but this should give you an idea!
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Director to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for all the replies...I will get the coin weighed and report back, hopefully with additional pics, but unfortunately that won't happen until Monday...have a great weekend and stay safe...
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2020  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Director to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello again,

The weight is 3.8 grams, could be 3.7 something as it's rounded up on the scale.

It seems to me it's struck on a 1982 penny Bronze blank (3.56 gms) or a foreign blank. I am leaning towards a penny blank as the weight is very close to that, but still would send it off for grading ASAP to rest my case.

After seeing the photo below, environmental toning is completely out of the picture IMHO.

See attached and once again, fire away!

Thank you and stay safe!

Edited by Director
04/11/2020 07:44 am
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2020  05:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Director to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@NumisRob

@sel_69l

@John1

@PaddyB

Your opinion now, please?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
6811 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2020  11:38 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm surprised but I wish you all the well if this does turn out to be a genuine OMS. As 1982 was the year the 20p was introduced, with a vast total mintage, it's the date most likely to be found with errors.

A 1p blank would be smaller and of course is not 7-sided. Although the pressure of the dies would have squeezed it a bit, I'd be surprised if it came out as well struck and shaped as this with such clear definition on both sides.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
6811 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2020  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Director - any update on the 20p? Have you had the metal content analysed yet?

Interestingly, today I was pulling up some weeds in a little patch of ground next to my garage, and dug up a 1982 20p! Here it is as it came out of the ground:

The same coin after a scrub and polish!

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16999 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2020  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although it is hard to see in the OP's pics, it does seem to be a bit more circular than standard 20 P coins.

To check further, a few pictures need to be taken from different angles, with the subject coin stacked between two standard 20 P coins.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
342 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its a known mint error. plain and simply put the nickel coating was omitted leaving the copper exposed. You can see quite clearly its as struck not been buried in earth for eons :)
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 798Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05