Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968 Nickel Dollar Doubling REV 005

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,435Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Canada
234 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  8:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Montgomery to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought a lot of nickel dollar (PL and Specimen strike). One of them was 1968. The date and some letters of DOLLAR have doubling like the Rev. 005 in the Charlton. I suspect the strike to be PL more then SP(the fields are clean but some tiny marks on queen neck). I can't find the Rev 005 for PL strike in the Charlton. What do yo think?

My camera is not able to capture the doubling of this dollar. Sorry...
Valued Member
Canada
234 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Montgomery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I try a picture of both side. I don't have macro enough good to catch the doubling.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5352 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me we need to see a close up of the date to be sure .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1862 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Montgomery you are correct your coin is definitely doubled. I grabbed your images blew them your coin. I dont have a way to show you this. I am presently working the bugs out of a muscle computer. you have a double date and your coin is also DHL variety wow. Montgomery your coin has very nice doubling on all the letters. plus not only are the doubled. there is a shift with some of the letters. Montgomery I have gone through so many 1968 nickle. it would surprise you. you have quilt the coin. if I can get one of my other camera working. I will try to post some images for you. this new computer incredible very fast. I have to get myself a card reader. I will try to find away this coin needs to be seen. I am seeing some thing on the island. could you tell me is there a big die chip. between the canoe and the trees on the island. I have seen this before wow this quit the coin. this is the best I can do for now. but you can see the doubling. its the whole top of the coin.

Valued Member
Canada
234 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Montgomery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your answer. The doubling is more visible on the 4 digits of the date and letters of dollar at bottom. Effectively, this a DHL too. The doubling in Canada is less visible in hand then the dollar letters. May be the picture gives a stronger doubling then what it looks like for this part. Unfortunately, I can't see any die chip.Is it the grey spot in the center of the canoe under the trees? If yes, it is a tiny spot with missing a bit of metal.
Learn More...
Canada
9191 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  12:06 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would need to see the top of the 6 in the date, to see if it is Rev-005. The notching is the best giveaway.

But yes, this also occurs in PL strikes (I guess that would make it Rev-505). You can also get the "spike head" (Rev-006) in the PL strikes.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
234 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Montgomery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I try with an old USB microscope but the result are not good for me...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1862 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Montgomery if you want to take as good a picture as you can. if you want to be a little more clearer with your image. remove the coin from the 2x2. take a photograph post it here I will do the rest. I can take your photo back to its original self. I will do the rest for you if you want. but this would be good to know.
Valued Member
Canada
234 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2020  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Montgomery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for this late picture. The days goes very fast. Here's one I took outside the 2x2. Let me know if I you nedd other pictures.

Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1862 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2020  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Montgomery do you have a microscope. you need to look very closely at the creators EH. I believe your s is raised. why I say that I can see a shadow behind the letters. all the 1968 I have checked all was in-cursed into the coin. but I did check a friends collection for him. he had one thats the same as yours. I would really like to find one. Montgomery could you get me a picture of your obverse. I need to see your obverse of this coin
Valued Member
Canada
234 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2020  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Montgomery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, I try 2 pictures of the EH. Hard to say for the relief but both letters have doubling.

Thanks!

Valued Member
Canada
234 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2020  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Montgomery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now he is the Queen side.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1862 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2020  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Montgomery yours is the second coin that I have seen that the initials that are raised. I have gone through many many of these coins. all the coins I have plus checked they were all pushed into the coin. Montgomery your coin matches his perfectly. here is the teller obverse double punched N Regina. I have no idea what your coin is worth. this coin is a definite keeper. the finish is in excellent shape. this coin should grade fairly well. congrats nice one
Valued Member
Canada
234 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2020  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Montgomery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks rocky! For classification purpose, how did you describ this one. I don't think REV005 would be fine...?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1862 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2020  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Montgomery this is up to you early fall this year. there will be an digital catalog coming out. the mate coin that matches yours will be listed. see Montgomery there is a little more to your coin. if you dont mind waiting for a little while longer. everything you will need will be listed there. also there is another 1968 dollar. I have 2 of them so far. wait till you see this coin. if you come across one you will know right away. its very different.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1862 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2020  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
*** Edited by Staff - Please review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. ***
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,435Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05