Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Those With Safety Deposit Boxes How Are Bank Lobby Closures Impacting You?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 452Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3758 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  01:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Those With Safety Deposit Boxes How Are Bank Lobby Closures Impacting You?

Just curious how the COVID-19 crisis and ensuring closures is impacting the numismatic community. I suppose this has just about ended coin roll hunting until things start opening back up and I'd expect law enforcement wouldn't be all that pleased that people were taking risks to visit/withdrawal collections from boxes.

Stay safe out there,
Joe
Pillar of the Community
United States
4044 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great question.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16997 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Much better to have your own safe, if that is convenient and possible. My bank may close its shop front, until the CV threat recedes, but will continue with electronic banking.
Fortunately, I am not a CRH'er.

Have X thousands in cash stored in my own safe, but nowhere near the value of my collection.
Mine is a custom made job, built by my dad nearly 50 years ago. Cost him almost nothing to build, got the 100 kg of steel for free. Hides under an anonymous looking corrugated cardboard box, with junk piled on it.
Has served me well.

There won't be a run on the banks for cash, almost every Government in the World is printing $trillions to prop their economies up, and allow for a quick recovery. The banks will pay off their debts with inflated money. That's how I paid my mortgage off in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Cost me almost nothing in real interest payments.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48082 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We have to make an appointment to use any lobby or safe deposit box services. Otherwise, the drive-through station is open for limited hours during the week.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3728 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  11:07 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had plans to open a safe deposit box. Kinda glad I didn't. I'll stick with my safe for now I guess.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Learn More...
United States
86467 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We have to make an appointment to use any lobby or safe deposit box services.
Same here. Turns out it is not that difficult to get one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
786 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We are allowing safe box access by appointment only, and needs to be a quick in and out as much as possible; no viewing room usage allowed.
Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel (Buffalo/no date); Dime 1914; Quarter 1876; Half 1936; Dollar 1900; Banknote 1928 $2; Foreign 1917 3d (United Kingdom)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19317 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never thought of it. I put most of my very expensive stuff in there and sort of forget it. I don't need anything in there for now so I just ignor it all. I guess if I really wanted to get into my safe deposit boxes I'd just wait till dark, blast open the rear doors with blasting powder and take my boxes home.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Safaga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We seem to have the same controls as others above have mentioned. Need to make an appointment to get into the SDB. I, nor anyone else I know that I'm aware of, has tried to make an appointment so I can't comment on how that works.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3937 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  05:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Get it out, get it out now.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 452Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05