Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lithuania 1516 (?) Half Groat

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 426Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4161 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2020  12:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been looking for a 1516 half groat to complete my OFEY for Zygmunt (Sigismund I) of Poland. It is not a rare coin, but does not tend to come up often as a single coin (it sometimes appears in lots with other dates of the same type, which is not helpful when I have those other dates).
When I saw this coin advertised as a 1516, I jumped on it, even though I wasn't completely sure the last digit in the date is indeed a 6.
Now with it in hand, and having looked through my Early Lithuanian Half Groats coauthored by one of our members, I am still not sure. Most varieties of this date just have the two digit date 16. The varieties with the full date all have a more pronounced and upward pointing "stem" on the 6. But 1510 (which has the same knight and the same eagle as 1516) also does not seem to fit. The zero is generally quite large and open, except for one variety with a small zero (#37), but this variety had a colon (:) after the date.
So, I am hoping @giedrius will get a look at this and give an opinion, but anyone else feel free to chime in

Edited by tdziemia
05/05/2020 12:19 pm
Learn More...
United States
23407 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2020  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's always nice to find something that you have been searching for.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4161 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2020  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @echizento.

I will just add that before joining CCF, I was only collecting reign and type coins from Kingdom of Poland, and did not even know what OFEY was.

Now it drives me (a little) crazy

Edited by tdziemia
05/05/2020 7:10 pm
Valued Member
Lithuania
363 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2020  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1510, one from 47 page in our book. 3-A Knight (with the ring at the handle of sword) is typical for the 1509 and 1510 coins only.
Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4161 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2020  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much!

I did not look at Knight 3A, so I missed that this type has a small zero in the date (specifically, I think this is 36A, since there is no punctuation after LITVANIE reverse).

SO I am still looking for 1516.
Edited by tdziemia
05/06/2020 3:52 pm
Valued Member
Lithuania
363 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2020  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, 36A in our book, I think. Similar obverse from my collection.
Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 426Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05