Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Twelve Olympian Gods.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 65 / Views: 3,085Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1975 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2020  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It comes down to how much uncertainty you're willing to accept

Thanks for the comment, I'm still 50/50 on a decision at the moment as I've just found a coin that is definitely attributed to Aphrodite but is double the price!..........The Celator article was a great read thanks pm sent Thanks...

Quote:

Quote:
Hestia is almost impossible to find... but you removed her from your list
....Yes when I initially set up the list I intentionally left her off due to lack of availability..

Quote:
I think that the more difficult to get will be Hephaistos... Except on expensive coins from Lipara, he is difficult to find. I am very curious to what will be your choice !
....As I said at the beginning of this thread the Lipara coins are out of my budget so this will be one god that will come from either Spain Malaca or Italy Samnium, Aesernia and I'm leaning more towards the Aesernia type because of the engraving style..
Pillar of the Community
United States
1304 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2020  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your set is looking great,Paul. Looking forward to the next ones.

I have picked one of the Malaga types for Hephaistos in my set, but I will eventually replace it because of the reverse.

I've been tempted to add silver to the mix for Hera and Aphrodite, but so far I'm being stubborn and holding out for bronze.

There are a few.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1975 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2020  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Doucet.....That's a nice coin you know!....This type is not referenced on wildwinds and the ref no's I can find are Calico 970, FAB. 1739 and ACIP. 795
Head of Vulcan, behind Punic law. Tetrastile Temple....Really cool coin!

Quote:
I've been tempted to add silver to the mix for Hera and Aphrodite

I've managed to find both in bronze but I do understand as they are not cheap!
Thanks for posting.....Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
1304 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2020  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Paul

In the ACIP this coin is 794, with the tongs to the left.

But it is another one of those coins that some reference to Hephaistos, and others (ACIP, Burgos and most) reference to Vulcan, like what you were saying about Aphrodite having Greek and Roman references.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1355566

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1002682

Makes it difficult to decide if it should be in the set.

I've often wondered how the experts decide who the Deity really is on ancient Greek coins.

With patience and a little luck we'll get these sets completed to our satisfaction. Someday.

You before me, probably.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1975 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2020  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Doucet....Tongs behind head (ACIP rated R9.!)....Quite a rare coin!
Nice find...I like it ...It's around 17mm yes?

I'm still on the fence as to which type I'll go for here are 2 options..
Spain-Malaca or Italy-Samnium
Pillar of the Community
United States
1304 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2020  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. Yes 17mm 4.1g

Both the coins your considering are great choices.

The type from Samnium I think would be a perfect fit. I've always wanted one of those.

I have that type from Malaka also, but not in great condition.

Not to change the subject, but do you collect Iberian coins?
I have quite a few.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1975 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2020  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The type from Samnium I think would be a perfect fit. I've always wanted one of those.
...Yes I'm leaning towards this type because of similarity of style....But I must admit I do like the wacky style of the a Malaca coins!...

Quote:
Not to change the subject, but do you collect Iberian coins?

Yes I do although I don't have that many, they are obviously quite readily available over here but as you probably know can get quite expensive with high detail....
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1975 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2020  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the 1/2 Dozen mark!...

ARTEMIS..
She was born on the island of Delos, the twin sister of Apollo, their parents being Zeus and Leto-(Daughter of the Titans Coeus and Phoebe).
Goddess of the hunt, the wilderness, wild animals, the moon, chastity and luckily midwifery!.....
I love the little mythological interpretations of how these Gods and Goddesses came into being. There are a few different versions but my favourite is that Artemis was apparently born to her mother Leto on an olive branch (A great deal of balance was needed there!)...And then subsequently helped her mother give birth to her twin brother Apollo 9 days later!
The symbols associated with this goddess are the Bow, Arrow, Quiver, Hunting knives, Moon, Deer, and the Cypress.
The Roman equivalent being Diana.
Coins of this particular goddess are quite plentiful and in general not that expensive. I liked the overall detail on both sides and a prerequisite for me was that it showed symbols connected to the goddess, this one depicting the quiver and bow quite nicely and also has a really pretty two tone colouring that appealed to me.
Kyme was the biggest Aeolian city in Aeolis (Asia Minor) modern day Turkey and was the most important of their twelve cities located on the coastline.
Aeolis, Kyme, c. 165-90 BC. Ĉ (16mm, 3.84g, 12h). Zoilos, magistrate.
Obverse...Draped bust of Artemis right, hair in sphendone, quiver and bow over shoulder.
Reverse...Single-handled oenoechoe (Kyme's cup) with KY above (Kyme), flanked either side by laurel branches.
Magistrates name left to right across central field Z-Ω / I-Λ / O-Σ..Zoilos.
SNG München 507-9; SNG Copenhagen 108; SNG von Aulock 1642.

Here's the 6.......
Pillar of the Community
United States
5211 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2020  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice patina on that one, Paul. Artemis was a popular motif on the little bronzes of Elymais too.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
350 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2020  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The overall quality of all these coins is impressive Paul. This latest one is a superb example, and must be one of the best bronze images of Artemis I've seen. An amazingly detailed reverse too. Nice.

Jim
Valued Member
United Kingdom
350 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I knew that my coin of Artemis and the one-handled cup was nowhere near as nice as your one Paul, but I dug it out to have a look.

Quote:
Magistrates name left to right across central field Z-Ω / I-Λ / O-Σ..Zoilos.

I'm glad I did, as I now know what the characters on either side of the cup mean now.

Jim
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1975 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2020  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob and Jim for the feedback.
The set is beginning to take shape now and have a few easier types to pick up before I hit some of the more difficult targets.

@Novicius.....That's a lovely looking coin and has some great detail...
I'm glad the thread has helped give you more detailed info on your own coin..
Here's a link that you might find interesting giving the origins of the Kyme cup reverse, I found it very useful.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/m...l_coins.html

Just wanted to rewind a bit as I've received some information I was hoping to find concerning the Apollo coin on page 3 of this thread.(Thanks Pavlos).
API is from [Λ]API[ΣAIΩN], Larissa, the city the coin is minted in (capital of Thessaly)
Valued Member
United Kingdom
350 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2020  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks Paul. A very interesting article.

Jim
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1975 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK number 7.
Decided to tick off one of the more difficult ladies and believe me was a tough one to find!....There are a few types that are readily available from Phrygia with double cornucopiae reverse but they always seem to have an obverse ID 'Head of Laodice or Aphrodite right' and I just couldn't live with the doubt!.....This coin seems to be quite rare and I really liked the fact the reverse depicts symbols associated with her, the rose and dove.

APHRODITE.
She was another daughter of Zeus (this guy got around!) and Dione a Titan goddess who's parents were Oceanus and Tethys.
The Goddess of love and beauty and also associated with desire, passion and sexuality (This little lady was hot!). She was the wife of Hephaestus (Vulcan) but had many lovers including Phaon, Nerites, Adonis, Hermes, Dionysus, Butes, Phaon, Hestia, Ares, Poseidon, and Anchises to mention a few!
Symbols assosiated to her...Dolphin, Rose, Scallop Shell, Myrtle, Dove, Sparrow, Girdle, Mirror, Pearl and Swan
Roman equivalent being Venus.
The coin was minted in Laodicea ad Lycum (Laodicea on the river Lycus) which was located in Phrygia in western Asia Minor, about 100 miles east of Ephesus. It was a possession of the Kingdom of Pergamon in the 2nd century BC when the last king, Attalus III (138-133 BC), died childless and willed his kingdom to the Roman Republic. Laodicea prospered modestly under Roman rule, though it was devastated during the Mithridatic Wars between Mithridates VI of Pontus and the Romans. It eventually recovered and became a thriving commercial centre. The city was home to one of the Seven Churches of the Apocalypse mentioned in the biblical Book of Revelation.
This is another place I visited many years ago and apparently this area has had extensive renovation of the ruins and also in 2019 a large bronze statue of Trajan was unearthed heres a link...https://www.trt.net.tr/espanol/cult...feso-1172687
A few photos showing some areas of the ancient city..

Here's the coin....
LAODICEA AD LYCUM (Phrygia) 14mm/4.0gr. Ca 200-100 BC.
Obverse: Draped bust of Aphrodite right, wearing stephane, hair in bun.
Reverse: ΛAOΔIKEΩN. Aphrodite standing left, holding dove, rose with stalk to left.
BMC Phrygia (p.284)27, SNG Copenhagen 497; SNG München 340; HGC 7, 744
SCARCE (R1 per HGC) Laodicea ad Lycum mint

Here's a breakdown of the reverse legend and the Roman equivalent Venus from my collection....

We're up to 7....
Edited by Palouche
08/11/2020 08:45 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
350 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is tempting to go for the low hanging fruit Paul, but much more satisfying to wait till the right coin becomes available. It removes the doubt for sure, plus the rose and dove clinches it.

Congratulations on getting this rarity, it is a really nice coin. Only five (?) to go now.

Jim
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 65 / Views: 3,085Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05