Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Roman Coin ID Challenge

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 311Next Topic  

United States
27 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  5:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add EM55062 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey Coin Community!

This is another "uncleaned" coin I bought from what was apparently a hoard from a peat bog in southern Germany. It's pretty rough--I can barely even make out the profile on the obverse--but there's still a bit of obverse legend.

At 10 o'clock there is a clear letter O.
At 1 o'clock there appears to be what looks to be an upside-down L followed by an S or a B . There are two letters afterwards I can't recognize.
At around 4 o'clock is a clear letter V.

I can't make anything out of the reverse, but the image was taken when I flipped the coin over from top to bottom (so upside down compared to the obverse) if that helps at all.

The coin is thin enough to cut, and the diameter is 14-15mm. The other coin from the same hoard was a Constans coin.

If any of you guys have any even remote guesses to the identity of this coin I would be overjoyed to hear it

Pillar of the Community
United States
929 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not going to take a guess but I think you want one with a bust with rather long ribbons at the back of the neck.

I think that L shape may be the remains of an A

Learn More...
United States
22975 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry but this is too far gone to make any ID. It's a cull.
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EM55062 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gincoins43 thank you so much. Upon glancing at your photo, the "V" that I originally thought was in the 4 o'clock position seems to be part of the shoulders. There seems to be some kind of cloak?
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EM55062 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah it is pretty far gone. Definitely not worth the price I paid for, but I guess it's still cool to hold a coin that ancient romans handled :) Next time I'll probably just buy from Vcoins or something.
Pillar of the Community
United States
929 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There seems to be some kind of cloak?

Seems like it may be a draped or cuirassed bust. That might be an N next to the L shape too.

echizento is probably right though
Edited by Gincoin43
05/22/2020 9:00 pm
Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Badger Mint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Constans, soldier spearing fallen horseman
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3068 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Constans, soldier spearing fallen horseman
Constantius, I think (the TIVS at 1-2 hours was pretty clear once I figured out where it should be), but otherwise seems plausible.

@Gincoin, can you do the same enhancement of the other side?
Pillar of the Community
United States
929 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can but the reverse it pretty flat.
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EM55062 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am so grateful to you guys--I think I'm going to dedicate my first-born child to you all :P

I also tried sharpening the reverse and turning up the contrast if that helps at all, though the enhancement techniques are not even close to Gincoin43's.

Pillar of the Community
United States
929 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might be able to make out a couple of letter with that one.

Negative images can help you see contrast.

Edited by Gincoin43
05/23/2020 3:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
929 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might be able to see the negative better without that white bar and your finger nails.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 311Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05