Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Roman Coin Identification Help Request

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 298Next Topic  
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  4:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SCmoneta to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I posted a coin earlier and was so amazed by the speed and accuracy of the response, I decided to post another problematic one. This one is 24mm, 3.5mm thick. I do not have the weight but if its needed, I have a new scale on the way so I will get it soon. I've posted two different angles of the reverse because I can't make any sense of it so I hope that helps. Thank you in advance. This forum is fantastic!

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
617 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well sadly you are probably just going to have to wait for Bob L to instantly recognize this. As for me that could just be a provincial of Trajan and the reverse is badly pitted and thus misleading you and the rest of us into seeing things that are not there at all. So I am trying to ignore the ditches in the reverse and look just at any detail from the raised portions. I "might" see some sweep lines of some fabric below someones knee who is sitting. But probably not at all.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5556342
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SCmoneta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really appreciate you taking the time to look into it. After reading through some of the coins Bob identified here I can't wait to see his take on it. Thanks again!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4898 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Way too much confidence in me.

I suspect that the coin is from Aradus, with a goddess (Astarte?) seated on a rudder. The letter "T" appears over her arm, and a Phoenician letter that looks like a backwards "P" appears to right. I'll post pics soon...a bit busy now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4898 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here you go.

For cataloging:
https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/3/3819

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1830 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
..Amazing Bob!
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SCmoneta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unbelievable! Excellent information Bob thanks much!
Pillar of the Community
United States
938 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Way too much confidence in me.

Quote:
I suspect that the coin is from Aradus, with a goddess (Astarte?) seated on a rudder

you're funny
Pillar of the Community
United States
666 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bob
Edited by travelcoin
05/25/2020 7:48 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 298Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05