Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968 Canada 25 Cents Is Heavy - Genuine Or Counterfeit?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 789Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  4:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ariette to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was trying to verify whether a 1968 Canada 25 cent coin I got in a coin lot is the silver or nickel version, and I found that it weighs 5.97 grams. This makes it quite a bit overweight even for the silver version, which should only weigh 5.83 grams. Is this weight within tolerance, or might this coin be a counterfeit?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1666 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
check it with a magnet. Silver is 5.83gm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
903 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks fully struck and well-centered, and no foreign coins were minted by the RCM in 1968, so my guess is that its a slightly overweight silver planchet within mint tolerances.
Valued Member
Poland
77 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  02:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good to me - also worth noting is that by 1968, it would not have been economical to counterfeit a quarter.

I have, on the other hand, encountered fake $2.00 notes from the mid / late '60s + 70s, but never seen a fake $1. This makes me think that $2.00 was about the minimum amount that was worth counterfeiting / taking the risk passing off at the time.

Worth noting that the latest dated Canadian coin forgery that I have seen is a 1958 50c (in my 'black cabinet').
Edited by norantyki
05/29/2020 03:01 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1666 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  09:43 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are literally thousands of counterfeit Canadian 25 cent pieces from all decades up to the 80's. Counterfeit loonies and twoonies as well.
Valued Member
Poland
77 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  03:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would be interested in seeing pictures of any of the counterfeits that you mention.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1666 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  10:00 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
as requested a few quick low quality scans

Valued Member
Poland
77 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, thanks for those - never seen anything that recent!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1666 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are welcome.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
518 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing set of pics! Counterfeiting never takes a holiday.
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree - fascinating pictures
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1749 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  06:05 am  Show Profile   Check jdmern's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jdmern to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
May want to double check your scale is properly calibrated- That style of scale is notoriously finicky with calibration
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 789Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05