Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1879-S PL Morgan Dollar. Grade And Comments.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 421Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  01:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ok folks. Really did not want to post this one (got about a year ago) because it has been darn near impossible to capture the true look of this Morgan. DEEP iridescent RED and aqua green, some subtle golds, and other colors, that just splay all over the place via the magnificent smooth cartwheel effect, pretty much in any light. Never seen a red like this. I named her "RED Treat" (open to re-name ideas...."RED Morgan Rising"?...lol). And it is a treat IMO. BUT again...In-hand a must to appreciate.

My condolences to the Tone haters. Lol

However, I figured I would ask for a grade and comments. Obverse has very little problems and is as I noted, very smooth in fields, and a deep strike. Iridescent red colors shooting everywhere, like a metallic look, just removes all concern via eye appeal about anything else on Obverse, such as the finger prints, which in-hand, you can barely see. Pictures bring them out.

Looks like it was well stored for most of its life, and sat on the Obverse, as that is the only toned side, or visa versa (Obverse exposed, Reverse face down). Don't know.

Reverse is in stellar condition, some Die polish lines, with a few other things going on here and there, but a sharp strike as well, and blazing brightness and cartwheel.

A bit of picture overload, but I am trying to give at least some indication of how this beauty looks.

Not a high value coin, even if graded high, unless it was a DMPL. It is not IMO. I do believe it is a PL, as the fields are very smooth mirror like reflective. Another hard thing to see. But give it your best shot.

Edited by BuyGuns
06/06/2020 02:06 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
7091 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  02:52 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS65SPL
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
360 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  04:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The toning is awesome! Would maybe make MS65. There looks to be a few very small scratches here and there which might take it down to MS64 but I doubt it. Nice looking coin, it has character.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34109 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse looks very nice, but the obverse does not have positive eye appeal,IMHO.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  06:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1...maybe you don't like toning...don't remember. But if you do, like I said, those pictures do zero justice to the Obverse. To see this thing in-hand, and how the deep red color just jumps out and flails all over the place like a 3D hologram, is awesome. Trust me, I know what you may mean as it in the pictures, looks dull and almost a mess. Yes...I understand why anyone may say that. I have not seen a toning and texture if you will like this Morgan. It is different. If someone likes tone, this bad boy just screams tone and eye appeal. If not liking tone, I would say this could may one a believer. Haha. Just sayin. It's that nice IMO.

I am sending it with a bunch this week to PCGS. I will definitely post the results in its slab. Not like they are going to add on the label "Damn, this tone is unique. Different...." . It will just be graded as the see it. Now if I did decide to put up for auction say on Heritage or one of the other houses...they would try to tout it for what they see, and that would be interesting. But not a high value coin, and I think I like it too much to part with. We will see as I have a number of 1879-S Morgan's. Will probably post more here.

I would try to post another picture to bring out the look I'm talking about, but I took probably 100+ pictures in every different light, angle, area, etc., and just could not capture what I see in-hand. It's too bad. That's why I did not want to post and say it is a beauty. Hard to prove with this type of tone. It really is unique.

Anyway...as always, thx for the input.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34109 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can give or take toned coins,but if it does not catch my eye...well then
Here is a guide on toning/eye appeal https://www.PCGS.com/eyeappeal
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3985 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse is MS-66, Obverse is at least MS-65. I'll net it out at MS-65+ but could go higher. Cant really assess PL from photos. Maybe.

I think this is worth submitting. The toning is good enough to carry a premium at auction. One sided toning is, as you probably saw in that coin that I bid up to $400+ and lost, very desirable.

I think this coin has a reasonable chance of making 66 at a TPG so you've got potentially a $170 base value (wholesale, if not PL) plus potentially a good premium, I've seen 100% or more, for the toning. I'd bid this one up if it gets a 65 or 66 holder!
Edited by fenton
06/06/2020 07:57 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
8854 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
toning is always in the eye of the beholder. I'm typically not a fan of it unless its symmetrical and not blotchy. this one is neither. TPG's will take eye appeal into consideration when grading. the strike is AVG for a 79(S) and because of the toning its very difficult to determine if there any fine scratches or minor issues with the devices or fields. lighting and reflection can also play a part in what we are seeing. The reverse is quite nice but the breast could have been a little stronger for this year. grading it by what I can see I'm at MS65, however, from my standpoint I personally would not pay a premium for the coin although many may
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3985 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One thing to keep in mind is if this gets auctioned by say Heritage they are going to put it under nuclear lights and all kinds of vibrant colors are going to be exposed. It's really hard for phone cameras to capture the quality of toning but you see hints that this one is a real monster coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17070 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably rested obverse down mostly in the dark on a paper lined draw for a long time, probably years.
Toning a bit thinned on the obverse high points.
Toning makes it harder to grade the obverse from these pictures, than the reverse, because the toning can hide? tiny minor scuffs, etc. I can't see any in there.

I agree: nice sharp strike, but the DMPL's would have been already have been struck of the same dies before this one.
Very nice reverse luster.
Deep Mirror not present. That would have been somewhat hidden by the toning, if Mirror had been there.

MS-65PL, a top drawer example, anyway.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20829 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really a tough one to grade from photos. Looks MS-65+ to me.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48753 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say 65, but I find the uneven toning distracting.
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I were to grade based on the rev alone, I'd say 66, maybe higher.
Really can't tell the obv due to the COOL toning. That is an unusual
shade of toning. I'll try to think up a good name for you!
How about Lady Russet? Please let us know how it grades!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really folks. Outstanding comments thus far. Much appreciated. Every point valid and completely understood. It is truly the eye of the beholder on this one. So out it goes this week with about 13 others. We will see what happens. (I do wish they would allow Gif's, where we could post a four second mini video of movement in light. Would help tell a lot about a coin, or at least give a different perspective. But alas.....size of the file probably the issue. Meh). Ok.....
Valued Member
United States
361 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wideglide to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a really nice Morgan, and I'm at a solid MS-65+. It really is hard to capture the colors and luster in pictures, and I struggle with that also. My pics ususally look dull and flat. It would be nice to be able to post a video of it in hand, moving in the light. Maybe we could post them to a video hosting site like YouTube, and provide a link to the video.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 421Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05