Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Covid Revives Wooden Currency

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 643Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2386 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2020  09:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
TENINO, Wash. -- The blue-cheese salad dressing, butter, ground turkey, cans of grain-free dog food and new toothbrush came to $24.97. Laurie Mahlenbrei handed the cashier a slice of wood marked $25, and walked out.

The wooden currency is good only in the small city of Tenino, part of an effort to help residents and merchants alike get through the economic fallout of the pandemic. Decades after it created a similar program during the Great Depression, the city is dipping into its emergency accounts to give people in need up to $300 per month in wooden currency to spend.

Just about every business in town, from the gas station and auto-body shop to Don Juan's Mexican Kitchen, is accepting the wooden scrip. The currency, made of maple veneer, is about the thickness, size and flexibility of an index card and printed on the same 1890s-era press that once printed the Depression currency and the newspaper. It can't be used for alcohol, tobacco or marijuana.

The businesses can redeem the scrip for real dollars at City Hall -- or sell them on the side. Some merchants said they've been offered three times the face value from coin collectors around the country.

https://wehco.media.clients.ellingt...e8_t1000.jpg

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news...od/?business
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4654 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2020  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great story!

Pandemic notgeld.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2386 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2020  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't take any wooden nickels.

$25 wooden index cards, on the other hand....
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17335 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2020  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not too surprising, Tennino was the city where wooden money originated.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2020  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good story, and interesting that people in need can actually turn these for even more money from collectors.
Pillar of the Community
United States
503 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just noticed this thread. I think the coolest thing about this wooden scrip is that they used the *same* press that was used to print the Tenino depression scrip in the 1930s.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1337 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
pretty neat! Nice to see a community come together and help each other.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 643Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05