Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Could You Please Help Identifying This Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 568Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
64 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  2:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sofia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this a UK coin?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
34854 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please crop and rotate photos properly before posting...thanks.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
07/05/2020 2:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
680 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a British coin.

Ionian Islands, 2 Lepta 1820, while they were under British control (1815-1864)
Edited by Anaximander
07/05/2020 2:51 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
470 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sofia, me, having always been something of a nosey sod, I can't help but asking; for months now you've been uploading images of terribly worn copper coins. What's the story, were they found while sorting through a deceased relative's belongings? This is simply a question, and in no way a criticism. I'm always happy to ID for you when I can.
Edited by Hogarth
07/05/2020 4:47 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
64 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sofia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Anaximander!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
189 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  01:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pwa 1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hogarth ,i would not bother trying to help again as they could not even be bothered to answer you.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
64 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  05:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sofia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, Hogarth and apologies for the late reply, but I did not know what reaction to have to your reply. I am new to the Coin World and very interested in it. I appreciate all the help that I get and I am learning all the time, as we all are.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
470 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a problem Sofia, thanks for your reply.
If there's one small piece of advice I'd give it would be to rein in the urge to acquire lots of very worn coins. Whatever your budget quality over quantity is the way to go. I see you like early copper? For every four or five you've presented here you could get yourself one nice coin which you'll still be happy to own years from now. One or two books on collecting will also very useful and, while the ability to grade accurately will come in time, for now I would suggest the London Coin Auctions archived sales photos as a reliable guide to realistic grades for most coins. Simply use the search box at the top of their home page to find past sales for any coin you're researching.
Here's an example. I typed in '1860 farthing' to see what they have archived.
http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=...searchtype=1
Edited by Hogarth
07/08/2020 12:25 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
64 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sofia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Hogarth, I love going to Auctions, where I have acquired all sorts of coins that I collect. I prefer silver coins to copper, but what attracts me really is very old coins, e.g Roman coins, Celtic coins, Anglo-Saxon sceats, the Plantagenet kings, etc. Any advice where to get more information about them? Thank you for your advice regarding copper coins.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
470 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Show us the silver coins you've acquired too. We'd love to see them.
I've a few trays of ancient, medieval, and later hammered and, some of these falling outside my area of expertise, I've found the people who frequent the 'Ancient and medieval' forum on this site to be very knowledgeable and helpful.
http://goccf.com/f/51
Valued Member
United Kingdom
64 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sofia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Hogarth!
The silver coins I have acquired so far, for example the ones in the photo, I was able to identify myself. It's the very old coins I struggle with.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
470 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  03:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Both of those 1887s are in very nice condition. It's a shame there's the remains of a mount on the half crown, but it doesn't detract too much.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
64 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sofia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 568Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05