Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1887 Large Cent Is This Dbl- MD Both Sides? Nearly Rtcl

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 483Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
907 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2020  4:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
this 1887 Cent sure is an oddity. It appears that it is a Dbl MD on each side?
or how can you explain this. looks like it is the same all around
and some on the rev side.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1801 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2020  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thats a neat one
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (click link below, you DO NOT need a facebook account to view)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
also you can see my collection of 1859 die pairs here
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...47995&type=3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3060 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2020  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The guys working on the floor must have jumped right on tightening up that die. I've looked at thousands of 1887's and never seen an OBV MD like that for that date. Even rarer is to have BOTH dies loose in their keepers. A great coin that's a sure keeper. Unfortunately, it looks like someone cleaned it at some time.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1497 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2020  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a oddity, I wish I had one I'll be checking them a little closer now. It's a neat coin thanks for the great pictures
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1675 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2020  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not MD IMO. Double struck. Deepest part of obverse shows clearly why I say double struck. Not MDD.
Edited by nickelsguy
07/27/2020 7:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1862 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2020  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nickelsguy you got great eyes. wow that is a incredible coin, very nice find.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1489 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2020  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
extremely nice find
Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Learn More...
Canada
9197 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  11:26 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Double struck. Deepest part of obverse shows clearly why I say double struck. Not MDD.

I can see this, without much movement of the coin for the second strike, it does sort of have that "flat field doubling" look to it, that you see on some nickel dollar specimen strikes of the early 1970s...
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3060 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm certainly not an expert on errors, but I can't see that as double struck. It just looks like the die keeper was loosy goosy and out of adjustment .. or the planchet moved.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
528 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lightly cleaned but what a find! It's so hard to find Vicky large cent errors and this is one. Good stuff!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
907 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone.
I must say I am surprised about MM's statement it being Double struck.
Was wondering about how MD could have happened ...but...
I take it..
I would guess ICCS would only mark it as "cleaned" and would otherwise most likely not comment?
Maybe it will take a journey to another TPG.
thank you all
H
Edited by 47P7
07/30/2020 11:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3060 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2020  05:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why send it to a TPG? It will cost you double or triple for a single person's opinion, if they grade it at all due to the cleaning. You have a real scarcity there and it cost you a pittance. Why spend $50+ on a piece of paper, some words and plastic?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
907 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okie ,
you are right.and point well taken.
My question here in simple language:
am just curious if ICCS would mention this or not? seems to me they have advanced to a web site (or whatever one can call that). Maybe they also progressed to some advanced "grading"?
After all, the facts are undisputed on the coin.
I think CCCS would mark it as what it is in their hard slab.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3060 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some TPG's will charge $50-$100 extra for a variety or error. You should find out before you send it in
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 483Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05